Author Topic: Draw wieght help  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Eagle Eye Eli

Draw wieght help
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:54 am »
 Help,

This is my third attempt at a bow, broke the last two during the floor tiller.  This time I'm using a scrap piece of Ipe wood before I ruin more good hickory staves. The Ipe wood measures 60" L X 1 1/8" W x 3/8" thick tapered to 1/2 " nocks. It has no riser, I just rounded the handle and wrapped leather around it.  When I tillered it I noticed a hinge in the lower limb, fixed that and braced it.   It weighed in at 25# @ 30 it will cast an arrow but now my son wants it.  I need t lower the draw length just don't know how. I needed to be around 20# @ 22" ?  

I have been unable to post a picture will keep trying.

Thanks

Eli.

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: Draw wieght help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:50 am »
You can cut off some of the length an re tiller it to the draw length and pounds you need.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:01 am »
You could pike it, but it's already 60". If it's for your son, just let him shoot it. If you want a 20# bow @ 20", that's what you have to start out intending to make. You need a goal in mind, before you start. Go slow, and don't overshoot your final dimensions.

Offline Eagle Eye Eli

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:28 pm »
 :)    Thanks i'll try this again.  Still have ipe wood left.

Eli.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:57:25 pm »
Eli, If the tiller is good you can scrape both evenly from fades to tip and reduce the weight. You have quite a bit to take off so you should be OK. Just don't get over anxious and take off too much. ::)
  If you pike it it will increase the weight.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:30:58 pm »
What is the draw weight at 22"?  About 15# maybe. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah