Author Topic: Nydam target bow  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Fundin

Nydam target bow
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
Here is a Nydam Target bow I made a while ago, It is from a rather inferior piece of yew with low density and a few cracks. I filled the cracks with glue and tillered the bow to 24", then considered myself done, wrapped it up in sinew and drew it to 28" It is only 38#, but a little to strong for my whife since she doesnt get her shoulder rotated, but thats pretty much due to 6 months without archery, beeing pregnant and giving birth.... The bow is about 1" wide at the handle, narrowing down to 3/8 at the nocks, almost as deep as it is wide with a high crowned belly. I couldnt make it any wider since the piece was not very clean.

Here is the bow strung

And sidenocks

Wear at the handle, you can see my bowyer mark, the runes H and T combined for Henrik Thurfjell

And a full draw picture, or kind of, she will need to start over with a weaker bow.

Sinew wrapping

And our daughter Torunn joined us at the archery range, still a couple of years until it is her turn....

Cheers
/Henrik

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Nydam target bow
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:41:15 am »
Cool bow, I like how you dyed the leather grip. Looks neat. Congrats on the new addition to the family, I have a 5 month old daughter myself. They sure grow fast!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:32 am »
Nice bow and beautiful pictures,the bow and the baby.Congrats on both. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:54 am »
Nice replica, I like the Nydam design. Fine looking little one, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:12:55 pm »
Nice Fundin! Where do you come from? Did you see the originals at Schloß Gottorf?

Offline Fundin

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:54:44 pm »
Thanks everyone, I come from northern Sweden (Luleå) but lately i have moved south to Umeå, wich is still pretty far north. I have never seen the originals, just pictures.

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 05:19:55 pm »
Nice job, Tell your wife to get her elbow down. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:12:20 pm »
Fundan, this is a beautiful weapon. I like the side nocks. Are / were the sinew wrappings decorative, or functional? Lovely daughter, too.

Dane

PS do you happen to have the dimensions of one of the original bow you replicated? I have always wanted to try building one.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

radius

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:14 pm »
what is a nydam bow?

btw, i remember seen ryano's baby in his video about applying snake skins

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:18 am »
Great looking bow, but not nearly as cute as your daughter.  Those are the cutest cheeks. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Fundin

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 04:20:16 am »
Thanks everyone. The sinew wrapping is both decorative and have a a purpose, to keep the bow together as it had some cracks

Offline Fundin

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:22:05 am »
Oh yes, a Nydam bow is a bow copied from the Nydam finds, about 300 ad, longbows with sidenocks, made mainly from yew. Wrapped in this fashion. The originals were estimated to have about twice the drawweight of thisone.

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »
Nydam is are moor in what is now soth of Danmark. Until 1 WW. it was German. There was a ship, which had been lying there since 6th Century which had been sacrificed to the gods. It contained bows and arrows as well as twisted swords, shields and other stuff.
The ship is what the Anglosaxons used to row across the Northsea. Our ancestors rowed from the mouth of the river Elbe to England in the time of migration in the early middleages.
Try at "Google": " Nydamboot" or " Schloss Gottorf". In this castle the founds of Nydam are presented incl. the ship.
Regards