Author Topic: A thoughtful gift  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
A thoughtful gift
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:02:00 am »
While we were unloading Alan's truck at his house after the Hickory shoot, Alan came out of his basement with a full bow sock. ??? We were supposed to be putting stuff in his basement! ??? Well, Alan handed me the loaded bow sock and said he wanted me to have this......
   When I pulled this bow out my jaw dropped. :o  8)  I've been drooling over this bow for years. I don't know where Alan got it but the claim is that it is a Jay Massey original. There is no writing on it.   It is sinew backed osage with halibut skin backing. It has a sinew wrapping through the handle area and out past both fades and a leather handle wrap with folded under top and bottom and leather lacing.The strike plate is thin, burgundy leather. There is also sinew wrappings just below each nock.  The bow is 58" t/t(56 1/2" n/n),  1 7/8" at the fades with a slightly curved taper to 1/2" tips. The belly is radiused with almost a ridge going down the center of each limb and there are severe drying checks down both limbs. I remember reading something Jay had written about the effects of sinew backing on very dry, well seasoned osage. As the sinew dries it almost curls the limb to the back, pulling the belly and causing these belly checks. Here are a few pics I took today........

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: A thoughtful gift
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:23 am »
I guess your kindness is comming back at you.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:48:40 am »
Well, its about time! ::)      Alan told me that if I die first, he wants it back! :o   I told my wife! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:42:48 am »
Wow!!!  :o !!!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:05:41 am »
That gift's got to mean a lot to you!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55:39 am »
Pat, as you well know those dimensions are similar to Massey's Medicine Bow. another similarity is the sinew wrapping at the tips.

I wonder what kinda stories that bow could tell....like if it's been down the Moose John River for instance.
glad for ya Pat !!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:27:02 am »
Sonny, I don't even know for sure if it is a Massey original but from the first time I saw it, that is what I thought. 8)
Greg, The gesture of this gift from my friend Alan is as overwhelming as the bow itself.
  Steve, I'll let you touch it in July if you are a good boy! ;)     Pat

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:06:34 pm »
Nice guys like you do deserve the Good Stuff :-*
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:19:22 pm »
Thanks Don!  :-[     Pat

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:01:27 pm »
Thats pretty cool Pat. Is it still shootable? or just a wall hanger?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:11:03 pm »
Ryan, It might be shootable but I'm not about to string it up. :o Don't want to take a chance. The checks in the belly are pretty severe also and that could be trouble if I tried to shoot it.     Pat

DBernier

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 05:34:37 pm »
Nice going Pat. You deserve it.   ;D

Dick

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »
Wow! Looks like a piece of history. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 09:30:27 pm »
   You Lucky Old Dog! :o That is a nice piece of history to have. I've met Alan twice and I don't think I've met that many down home nice people before, except you . ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:32:13 pm »
That's what I was thinking - a peice of history. Looks like somebody could have stole it out of a tipi a couple hundred years ago :). Nice gift!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.