Author Topic: Long thin fibers  (Read 13202 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Long thin fibers
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:59:53 am »
I have a set of cane arrows that are, thus far, made completely from primitive materials.

Other that back strap sinew, which I have none of, what else can be used to make long thin fibers to bind a whole feather to an arrow shaft??

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Long thin fibers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:04:28 am »
Dogbane, milkweed, nettle, basswood, hickory, or other bast fibers can be used as-is or made into fine cordage and used to tie on fletching. I've done it a few times, works pretty good. I've seen pics of several old NA arrows done like that. You might also try talking Pat out of a lock of his beard :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:07:32 pm »
 :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:35 pm »
10-4
I have some milkweed.  Don't know if I am capable of cording it up that fine.  I guess we will see.

Mentioning Pat's beard brings something to mind.  A horse's tail.

The hair in a horse tail that is.  What do ya ll think.  Could horse tail hair be used??

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:16:51 pm »
Horse hair could be used but I think it would get brittle over time. I have used it for decorations and in the old days rope was made with horse tail hair. so I guess it work OK.
   Don't worry about making cordage with the milkweed. Use a single strand to do your wrapping and set the end wraps with pitch or hide glue.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:27 pm »
10-4
Thanks Pat.
I will give that a try
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:55 pm »
Mentioning Pat's beard brings something to mind.  A horse's tail.

That's almost what I would have said.  ;D ;D ;D >:D  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »
Steve, that is a horses TAIL not what you were thinking.  Cheeze, this younger generation!  ::)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »
  I've used horse tail to wrap nocks, stone points and feathers. You can just soak them in hide glue, TB2 or 3. then wrap with pine pitch, it works good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:17:22 am »
I've experimented with very long flax fibers to attach feathers to an arrow.  I bought some from a weavers' supply outfit.

Works pretty good but the fibers are not strong.  I dipped them in hide glue and applied it just like sinew.  The only thing I didn't like was the smell.  The flax plant needs to be retted or "decomposed" before the fibers can be extraced.

I'm going to experiment with some mulberry inner bark soon...but I think it will be hard to beat sinew.  I use thread and waterproof woodworker's glue if I want something that will stand up to abuse.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:26:21 am »
I have used Yucca Fibers....you take a leaf off the Yucca...bend the Tip over and over till it breaks....then pull it towards the bottom of the Leaf....and you get a Needle...with a piece of Yucca Thread...the Locals here used to use it to sew Buckskins and rawhide..... I have had good luck with it for Hafting and Sewing and even used it to serve a String for a Bow once....this stuff is really tough
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

grantmac

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:32 am »
Nettle works awesome. Just cut it now and let it dry really good. Then you brush the stingers off and peel the fibers away from the pith. Makes really great binding and cordage.
     Cheers,
            Grant

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 06:07:26 pm »
El Destructo, Yucca is a awesome plant i once made a bow string outa yucca , also fishing line, the stalks are good for friction fire. This is for you DTiller, you can even make sope from the roots... BearGrass is one of my favorite plants.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:03:34 pm »
Soap for David.........I think He has enough ::)....dont you?? Also you have to have a Backhoe to dig one up!!! These are some Tough Suckers!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:57:30 pm »
try palmeto leaves. i think it would rot eventually though. :-\ good survival cordage anyway.  :)
lets just shoot it