Author Topic: help a new guy  (Read 3131 times)

Offline aruge

help a new guy
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:20:14 pm »
Hi folks.  I've got a red oak board bow I'm working on. It needs to be backed. I've got some 100% linen fabric and TB3. Do I have to size the bow? If so do I thin the glue? Do I have to soak the fabric before I apply it? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Al

Offline DanaM

Re: help a new guy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 01:24:42 pm »
Welcome to PA, no you don't have to size the back first. I spread an even layer of glue on the back, then lay the linen on top of it use your fingers to work the
glue into the fabric and smooth it down. I like to work from the grip to the tip. Then I go ove the top with another thin coat of glue. I leave the linen oversized and trim
it with a razor knife once the glue sets up but isn't hardened all the way yet.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:00:24 pm »
Not necessarily, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to spread some glue on first, let it sit for a few seconds, then put a little bit more on, and lay the linen on top. Otherwise, like Dana said. :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »
What these guys said but my two cents worth.... glue is cheap, lessons are not..... don't be afraid to saturate your linen well.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:38 pm »
I do sorta like Dana....but I let mine dry all the way after tow coats of Glue...one under the Linen...then rub it in thouroughly...then let it set...and apply another layer over the Linen....then I use a Scraper to cut the fabric edge off....this works good for Me
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aruge

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 02:56:09 pm »
Thank you guys. I'll do ya proud.  Al

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:51 pm »
Thank you guys. I'll do ya proud.  Al
We know you will!!! Now just remember to send Pictures of the Progress too!....and as Dana would say..High Quality Pictures!!....... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome