Author Topic: Exercising limbs  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Exercising limbs
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 12:12:49 am »
David, you might want to take a look at the tiller you are using with a particular design as well. A tiller can look perfect but not be right for the front view on a bow sometimes. As discussed in other threads though, a little bit of set is not such a bad thing, sometimes you can get through the tillering of the bow without much just to pick it up later when you shoot the bow in. Better to keep excersiing it and break it in as you build it. Steve

Far East Archer

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:24:45 am »

Ya mean humidity drops below 40 %! Well learn somethin' every day ! ;D...bob

hehehe I know what you mean bob, doesnt get any better than 60 % here and thats a really dry day for us. Usually its like 80+. I dont know why, but I usually dont get anymore set than those in much drier climates. I used that site to calculate the emc and it was 15.6%...thats bad right?  ;D lol even my hickory bows stay in around 1-1.5" of set.

Might need a hotbox just to see what its like.....

Alex

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:55:47 pm »
Greg, there's little estimation for me when determining if a stave is ready for the short string. I long string tiller out to 10 inches all the while checking weight. When the stave shows target weight or 5# over and the limbs are bending well then I string the stave for the first time. When I exercise the stave after wood removal I do t at partial draw just to stress the wood a bit. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 09:06:24 pm »
is this 10 inches total limb travel, or just simply string travel. i.e. like putting on a tight stringand pulling it a total of ten inches, or just how far the tips move. i have been kinda fuzzy on when exatcly to move to a short string.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

radius

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 09:53:25 pm »
I put the short string on as soon as I can, because in the past i've tillered bows out using the long string only to find them sadly underweight.  Adb uses this definition of a long string:  just long enough to be taut when attached to the nocks, without bending the bow or hanging loose.  I started to do this, and found that my bows are more consistent to what i want them to be, after that.  Once you can draw a bow to desired weight at, say, 15" of draw using adb's long string, then string it to a very low brace height (say, 2 inches).  Keep on tillering and drawing the bow, increasing brace height in 1" increments as often as you can without damaging the stave.  This takes a little practice.  By doing it this way, you'll be at full brace height of 7" or so before you know it, and your bow will pull the weight that you require.  Best to tiller in a few pounds over desired weight, so you can round over the edges and do final sand without coming in underweight.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 10:08:08 pm »
ok i understand. what ive been doing is tillering down till the limb tips get to a distance marked out on my tree. this mark is at a 7" brace height (from the back). then going on as you stated. thanks

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 04:26:22 pm »
Dano or whoever.
If the humidity is 55% and you have had the wood in a hot box(hickory) over night, how long would your estimate be as to how long would the mc stay low enough to work on the tiller? David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Dano

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 08:15:53 pm »
Just over night won't dry it enough, I would wait a few days, but after that you can work the stave for a session put it back in the box and so on, till it's ready for finish.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 08:30:49 pm »
Just over night won't dry it enough, I would wait a few days, but after that you can work the stave for a session put it back in the box and so on, till it's ready for finish.

Sounds like a Lot of wok....just send it to Me ....here in the Texas Panhandle....the Humidity stays around 6-10 percent....and I will make good use of your Stave........ Without the Hotbox !!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline loco cacahuate

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 10:26:38 pm »
Destructo
Yellow feather is my brother and he started on this bow about 5 months ago.
I keep tellin him he's afraid to finish it  :D  It is his first unbacked stave bow and he's pretty close to getting it to weight.
I told him he needs an alarm that goes off when the humidity drops below 40% so he can work on it.
Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly

San Angelo TX

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 12:50:19 am »
Thats funny!!  I was really leery on My first Stave Bow too....I was all Fine with a Board...but that first Piece of Natural Wood with all of it waves and dips...and other flaws...just overwhelmed Me for the first one...but once you get the first one under Your Belt....it's all Fun again!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome