Author Topic: Fake Snake #2  (Read 4612 times)

Offline DirtyDan

Fake Snake #2
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:51:04 pm »
A couple of years ago I made an osage flat bow with a copperhead skin "painted" on the back.  Since I did not have a real snake skin, I decided to fake it.  Anyway, I sold that one last April, but a guy saw it and wanted one like it, so I made this 62" ntn osage bow and decorated it sort of like the other one.  It is not as pretty as Greg B's beautiful real snake bow, but it will have to do.  This one pulls 52 # at 28" and shoots very well.  The tiller is not perfect:  the left limb has a slight hinge in it, but both limbs pull equally and there is no hand shock.  All in all, I am very pleased with it.  I hope the guy I am selling it to likes it also.

Dan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Fake Snake #2
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:12:47 pm »
You did a great job with the painting. Did you do it by hand with a brush or use a stencil?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »
Painting the back looks to be more work than gluing on a skin and takes more talent to boot.
Very cool Dan :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:26:07 pm »
I don;t care what you say, I still think it's real :-\ ;D.

the tiller looks fine to me- and that's an awesome all 'round bow to boot.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:45 am »
Nice job Dan. I don't see any hinge, the left limb looks weaker than the right but other than that it looks ok.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:34 am »
Nice, Dan. Like Ryan said I don't see a hinge but a slightly weaker limb. The painted skin backing is very cool. 8)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:34 am »
That's some awesome snake-fakin', Dan. Looks like a lot of tedious work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:36:57 am »
Thanks, guys.  The only "cheating" I did on painting the skin was to get an onion sack from the grocery store--the kind of red plastic netting kind and taped it on the surface and spray painted through the holes to give me the diamond-like pattern of the scales.  Then I just painted each scale with acrylic artist's paint in a pattern that looked like a picture of a copperhead snake.  Lots of time, but anyone could do it, I think.  Glad you liked it.

Dan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:05:17 am »
You've got more patience than the sky has rain (in Montana, anyway). Very nice artwork and a great tiller on that osage. Bookmarked for June BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
Thanks, OldBow.  You do a great job.

Dan

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 01:29:12 pm »
......WOW.  :D
lets just shoot it