Author Topic: Boo Backing ?  (Read 6456 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

Boo Backing ?
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:29:36 am »
Before the bamboo is glued on does the back of the belly piece need to be sized? Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline adb

Re: Boo Backing ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:31:25 am »
I don't. I use TB3, and just spread it even and thin, and clamp it. Actually, I use old bicycle inner tubes, and wrap the pieces together.

Offline jwillis

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:12 am »
I just grind, vacuum, brush it off and glue it up.  Jim

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:34:35 pm »
I always like to size both laminates to be sure I get good coverage through the joint. It doesn't take long and for me its not worth taking a chance. I'm sure lots of folks don't size both laminants.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:02:34 pm »
I'm with Pat.  I don't know that I would call it sizing since I don't let the glue dry at all. But I apply it to both pieces then stick them together.  It helps prevent trapping air bubbles.  With boo I'm usually going on a wood that needs degreased also. Only takes a minute to degrease and it is wonderfull insurance.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:31 am »
I use my finger to rub tb3 into the wood on both sides of the glueup. I actually rub it in pretty good to break any kind of surface tension voids that may be present, can't tell you for sure that it is neccessary but makes me feel better. Steve

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:21 am »
I'm with Badger and Justin.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

DBernier

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:54:34 am »
Being new to bow making, I use Urac185 and spread a thin coat on both surfaces and then clamp while bending in reflex/deflex or flat. I have never had a problem with the glue joint but have had a problem with the boo lifting a splinter once in a while. I think it is from scraping/sanding the back too much.

Dick         

DBernier

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 10:01:21 am »
Hey not to hijack this thread, but, has anyone used a backing over the bamboo on the back of a composite bow such as boo over boo with a core wood etc. I am trying to think of a way to prevent splinters from occurring on the back layer of the boo. Things such as sanding the nodes flat and covering with rawhide, silk etc. What about it?

dick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:30:37 pm »
Dick, I have one of Vinson's Cane Dragons that lifted a splinter and he add a rawhide backing over the boo. So far its holding.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
What do you guys mean by "sizing?" I thought sizing was spreading a very thin layer of glue and then letting it almost dry, and then spreading another layer and then clamping. Of course, I always spread a layer of glue on every surface to be glued, but I don't size it first.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:30:31 pm »
What do you guys mean by "sizing?" I thought sizing was spreading a very thin layer of glue and then letting it almost dry, and then spreading another layer and then clamping. Of course, I always spread a layer of glue on every surface to be glued, but I don't size it first.
You got it right. That is exactly what I was getting at.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Phillip K

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 12:59:07 am »
what about heat treating the boo and flattening it again,because of moisture in the boo with evaporate and the boo will seperate from the edges later in the bows life if it is not treated, or do we have a dry enough boo backing?

radius

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 01:02:55 am »
phillip, it sounds like you got that idea watching youtube...in my experience, fiber doesn't swell when it loses moisture:  it shrinks.  I have heated bamboo after sanding it flat, and not noticed any convexity...

DBernier

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:02 pm »
Thanks PatB. I am going to experiment with one of those cane dragons and use raw hide. Some one had some raw hide at our table in Hickory. Do you remember who it was?

Dick