Author Topic: BBO in progress (pics)  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Susquehannock

Re: BBO in progress (pics)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 04:18:59 pm »
Well, Ryan was right. I started to tiller some more and noticed that both tips are a little hingy about 4-5" out from the knocks. I could kick myself for not seeing it, but I guess I was trying to get more bend out of a shorter bow.

What are my options to fix the tips?

1) cut the tips down a little--Right now I'm at 57-1/2" knock to knock, so will a shorter bow be able to handle any reduction in length given my 55# @ 26" draw goal? I know bbo is a strong combination, but this is the shortest bow I have built so I'd like to hear what others think.
2) glue a thin hardwood overlay to reinforce and stiffen the last 4-5"? If so, should this be glued to the back or the belly?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jason

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 03:24:01 pm »
As an aside Jason, I posted a method I use to visualize exactly where your limbs bend here:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,4820.0.html
Since you like digicams I thought you might be interested.
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 01:36:47 pm »
Thanks David,

Well, when it rains, it pours. I think this bow has definitely been a learning experience thus far. After I noticed the hinges on the tips, I gently took it out in the garage and floor tiller flexed the tip. CRACK! The osage started to crush/break right where the hinge was. The bamboo is still in perfect condition. (see pics below). The osage separated at the glue line the remainder of the length of the tip. I have debated wether to cut it down and make it a kids bow, or try to fix. I think I will see if I can fix it and worse case scenario cut it down for a bow for my son.

I have superglued/wood glued and clamped the separated part and where the osage started to crack. After the glue dries, I plan to taper the belly flat the last 6" on both tips and glue on a thin hardwood strip on both ends, then sand it smooth. I will probably wrap those spots with sinew or thread for insurance. What does everybody think?

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]