Author Topic: Rudder bows  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Don

Rudder bows
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:38:07 am »
OK. I'm new to the primitive side of archery. I want to get a bow that shoots OK but inexpensive to get started. Maybe build one later on.
I'm looking at 3 different bows from Rudder.
A plain Hickory long bow, The Sudbury Indian bow, and The Oneida Indian bow.
My question. Has anyone used any of these bows and what do you think?
I would really like your opinion on these bows.
I would be using it for regular shooting and also hunting.

Don

Offline adb

Re: Rudder bows
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 01:29:37 am »
I've purchased from Rudderbows in the past. Jim is a very nice fellow. Their products are great for new bowyers, but you'll soon realize... you get what you pay for, and that you can do better work yourself, for roughly the same cost. Good way to get started, but that's all. Just my opinion.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:39:38 am »
 jim is a great guy  he will help ya as much as you  ask ,,,  my qustion  is  if you plan to make some later  why spend the money  get one of his floor tillerd stave s and finish it your self  it ll be more fun and you can finish it the way you want it plus  you ll get a lil experince along the way  have fun buddy good luck  :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:52 am »
ive bought several floor tillered staves from Jim. as stated before,he will go out of his way to help with anything he can when you purchase from him.
every thing i have ever bought from him was soundly made and glued up. i still have a couple of floor tillered staves and a r/d boo/hickory kit to finish yet(glueing this one up myself)

i gotta say (and no im not being paid to say it either) i love his products and his customer support,and will continue to buy from him,as i dont have access to trees to cut and find it just as cost effective to but his products as it is to buy staves on line(for the most part)

this is only my opinion.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:38:36 pm »
Talked to Jim today. He is a very helpful and friendly guy.
I believe I'll give him a call this week and get one ordered. Just need to decide which one.
I'm not going to make one just yet. I need to learn more about it and the tillering still has me stumped.
I would hate to get the materials and turn it into tooth picks. lots and lots of tooth picks.
I'll eventually work up the confidence. I really want a Osage bow.

Thanks for the help. Don

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 11:31:01 pm »
 don have a suggestion for you  jim sells  a kit compleat with a tillering stick string and all  you would just need a few basic thing like a pocket knife, a file   and some sand papaer he s gives you compleat instructions   and any help youd need   and the cost is way cheaper than buyin a bow already made beside s youll be able to use the tillring stick for ur next one and so on  have fun  here !!

Offline Sabanim

• The Martial Arts Center
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:04:45 pm »
I highly recommend them. Great service and awesome materials.
Bill