Author Topic: Bow design ideas wanted  (Read 5807 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow design ideas wanted
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:28:55 am »
Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would reply. I figured I'd get lots of good advice that I could gleam some  ideas. I will shorten the stave by a couple of inches. Once I get the sapwood off and a clean back ring I'll know more about layout. As I said I like the idea of a deflexed handle area and as most of my recurves come out ::), the tips usually lime up with or slightly past the handle. That deflex out of the handle with a reflexed sweep out the limbs has an appealing profile whether braced, unbraced or at full draw.                         Probably be at least next weekend before I get back to it on this bow.   
   Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Any others are welcomed.         Pat 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:15 am »
Pat, I have some un-braced and braced pics on the first page of my website. The only full draw photos are on the gallery page, and takes a bit longer to load since the pixels are a bit high.

The first photo on the main page is how I think you would want your bow to look un-braced.. You don't need it to be a hard curve to make a difference. I make plenty of light 40-45# 72" ipe and bamboo bows like this mostly for competition 3-d archers, and these guys  have helped me with good feedback and the realization you can make a light weight longbow out of heavy wood perform well..

I think if you can floor tiller the limbs so they could bend into the r/d shape you it will be easy to heat  it up and tighten the clamps on the form..

You have 3 nice pieces there, I'm envious and plan on getting a bunch at mojam this summer..

Rich    www.richardsbowyery.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 08:48:53 pm »
Thanks Rich. That is very helpful.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC