Author Topic: First SelfBow Birch  (Read 15409 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: First SelfBow Birch
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 08:48:38 pm »
After looking at the bark some more I'm wondering if you could give us a scientific name for the type of birch it is.
The bark looks like what we call tag alder(Alnus rugosa) here in northern michigan, I have a stave of it drying, alder is very similar to
birch in its leaves and such.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline akbowman

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »
This is what i came up with for the scientific name Dana.

Betula Papyrifera Marsh var. Kenaica (W.H. Evans) A. Henry  Kenai Birch

This is where i found it.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch#

We have quite a few speicies of alder here too and i can see how they could get confused, although ive personally never seen alder with the paper like flakey bark on them.

Hope that helps

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 11:18:35 pm »
That is too cool.  Really like the birch bark look.  It looks like it fell right out of a tree. Awesome job.
Traverse City, MI

Offline akbowman

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 11:27:23 pm »
Dana here are a couple of pics of some "Kenai Birch" that i just took.

Other than the diameter of the tree and the slightly darker color, this is what the piece that i made the bow out of looked like when i cut it down. On a hike this last weekend i saw a tree about this size that was almost a blood red color, i was tempted to take it but it was on the kenai national wildlife refuge and you cant cut live trees there. Hope this is of some use to you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nokswimmer

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 11:52:43 pm »

was that from a green sapling?

if not....when it dries wont the bark crack and come off?  or does birch not do that.  i have a lot of it around here and would like to try that.

~Nate

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:54 pm »
Thanks for sharing this bow with us.  It is really cool.  I love the decoration, the primitive look, and the tiller, as others have said, is OK.  Way to go.  Experimenting with new styles and materials is what makes this hobby so much fun.

Dan

Offline akbowman

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 12:44:24 am »
Nate, That seems like the big question, weather or not the bark is going to come off, guess at this point its a wait and see thing. Hope it dont but if it does its a lesson learned. If it dont then Saweeet!!!

Oh and yes it was from a green sapling that i took down about half way with a draw knife then let it dry for a month and a half or so. So i dont know if that qualifies it as green or seasoned or what, wish i had a moisture meter so i could tell just how much it did dry.

Offline bbrooks5

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 11:02:49 am »
AK,
     if the bow limbs are the same length from the center of the bow you can cut off 1 1/2- 2 inches off the bottom limb. This will some what correct the bow towards a 1/4" positive tiller. With the birches and hickories  have a tendency the hold moisture, more that most other woods.
You can put the bow in 90-95 degree environment(constant) for two weeks. The moisture content can be felt w/your hand on the exposed wood.If you feel any dampness its too wet. Just keep in mind the bark covered wood will take longer the dry cure. When done you bow will gain several #s pull and shoot with better cast. Just limit the draw length to 27" or less.You can seal the bow w/any fat or a marine grade teak oil. Hand rub well to get a protective moisture barrier. Later touching up as needed. Bear tallow is a great sealant when hand rubbed numerous coats. Hope this can help you. Bob Brooks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 11:12:54 am »
AK thats most definately birch, I've seen some small birch here that has color like that, always figured it was paper birch just weird guess I need to do some more research.
I have staves of paprer birch and yellow birch drying looking forward to trying em out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 08:26:08 pm »
That is pretty cool.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:50 pm »
AK if I get a chance I will grab a camera tommow and take a few pics of some birch here.
I'm sure we don't have Kenai birch, its probably just s variation of paper birch or something.

Manistique, MI

Offline Staver

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 08:45:11 pm »
That's the coolest set up you've got there!! 8) 8)  Does it get any more primitive than that?  Joe H

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:26 pm »
thats one sweet bow.nice tiller,sweet backing..hey ,you got it made now..just have to kill a deer.john

idbowman

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 09:59:15 pm »
thats is sweet bro i always wanted to build a bow never got around to it

Joe M

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 04:12:29 pm »
I agree with all the others,,, that's a sweet bow for sure! :)