Author Topic: BBO in progress (pics)  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Susquehannock

BBO in progress (pics)
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:53:27 pm »
Here is my first attempt at a BBO. This bow is currently pulling low 50#s @ 19". It is 59" ntn and about 1-1/4" wide. I am hoping to hit around 55# @ my 26" draw. Let me know what you think about the tiller so far. I have included one of those circular guides as someone else uses. I have been tillering mainly using my digital camera to see where I am. I scrape a little, take a pic, run to the computer, and analyze. I think I have been looking at it too long, so some objective feedback will be helpful.

Thanks, Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

radius

Re: BBO in progress (pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:11:38 pm »
hey

looks like the left side has more curve to it, but that the right side dives out of the fades more abruptly. 

Right side:  leave alone at the fades, gradually scrape out the outer 2/3 of the limb.

Left side:  evenly remove a thin layer from the fades out to about 2/3...then remove wood a little more aggressively, to get some bend happening in that flat spot.

BBO's are cool...i've only built 2 of them, but I found they were stiffer under the nodes...You can get a lot of weight from this combo, so don't be surprised if your osage winds up quite thin.

Jim Hamm said to get the tiller even and THEN go for weight.  So you might want to refrain from drawing any further than 19" until the arcs are smooth and even.  The weight will drop, maybe as much as 10 #...but you will have even tiller and as you begin to draw it further, it should be quite easy to reach your desired draw weight or even a little higher.

radius

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:13:30 am »
Your starting to hinge on the left limb about 8 inches off the fade. You need to scrape on either side of the hinge to correct it..dont pull the bow any farther until you have it working more evenly or its going to take undue set on that limb. I like the tiller on the right limb just scrape it evenly to keep it in time with the other side. Good luck!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:57:05 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. It's helpful to get another point of view. I see hinges on the left about 8" off fade and on the right about 10" off fade that I didn't see before I asked. Sometimes it pays to put the bow up for the night and get some advice before plowing ahead. I really like tillering with the digital camera. It lets me take my time and really study the bend.

Thanks, Jason

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:28:29 pm »
I think I have worked out the hinges beyond the fades.

Question for you bamboo people: At what stage do you scrape the rind off your boo, and will this affect draw weight by any substantial measurement?

Thanks, Jason

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:32:52 pm »
You can scrape off the rind at any time. Doing so will not affect the draw weight.
Gordon

rattlesnake

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:11 pm »
great advice,,, if done right will make a nice bow,,,, go slow,,,, dont overdraw earley,,, nice job....snake

Offline loco cacahuate

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:27:33 pm »
dumb question:
How do you do the circular guide?
Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly

San Angelo TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
  I'd stay away from the fade on both limbs. It doesn't look like you have much meat left on either side. I'd forget the red lines too. It doesn't match the tiller you are looking at and if you try to you won't have the weight you want.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:18:05 am »
Mullet,

I have continued scraping the middle and outer limbs and haven't touched the fades. You are right, the osage is really thin (rookie mistake in that the boo was a bit too thick to begin with). The right limb looks like all boo, but in fact I have a small amount of osage sapwood in the belly of this bow.

Loco, I did the circular guide with photoshop. I saw someone else use this to help them on this site, but honestly, I think using the digital camera and analyzing after each wood removal session has helped me the most building this bow.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Jason

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:24:06 am »
Here is the same bow drawn 2 more inches to about 21". I think the limbs are flipped in this picture from the last pics I posted, and I have added some layers of wood to the handle to give it some visual appeal.

Jason

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:21 am »
  I would still work the outer limbs,starting about 4" in from the knocking point. And then work your way towards the mid section ,SLOWLY. Scrape a little and then check it.If your limbs are wide enougth you can scrape the sides and trap the boo. That way you can keep from scraping all the Osage away.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:45 am »
Mullet, when you say "trap" the boo, do you mean bevel/round the corners of the boo? Right now the limbs are around 1-1/4" wide, so I think I have plenty of width to tiller off the sides and I was already thinking that's what I should do since the osage is getting thin.

Jason

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:26:43 am »
  Yea thats what I mean. Angle in on the sides and when you are finished,round the edges off a little.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:35:26 am »
The left limb in that picture looks hingey right before the tip I would stay away from that area.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....