Author Topic: snakeskin scales removal  (Read 8901 times)

Offline n2everythg

snakeskin scales removal
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:02:06 pm »
how do you know when you have gotten off all the scales when applying skin to the back of the bow?
I have heard of using tape and I read gordon's method of using steel wool. but I am not sure I am doing it correct.

do you rub in the direction the scales are pointing? ie from head to tail?
even after the little flakes come off there is still a pretty big ridge left around the scale. does that stay on? if you rub backward the end of the ridge lifts up a little. is this ok?
thanks
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: snakeskin scales removal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:08:35 pm »
I rub form head to Tail....and the Ridge that you feel is the Skin under the Hard Scale....you cant get rid of that!! I may be the only one on here that does it....but I was taught to soak my Rattlers in Denatured Alcohol until the scales start to lift....then wash them in dishwashing Liquid to remove the excess Alcohol...while you are washing....tons of the Scales will just fall off....and by the time that the Skins are glued on the Bow....you barely have any that need to be rubbed off to begin with....works for Me...but probably not for everybody....all have their Own Ideas of whats Best
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:27:25 pm »
  I glue them on and just rub against the grain with my fingernail.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
If using steelwool, always rub from the head toward the tail. The steelwool will remove most of the scales, but you still have some that you will have to rub off with your fingernail.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
  Just read Gordon's post. Yep, with the grain. Musta been a senior moment. If you go against the grain you will have raised edges that will stick up after it's finished.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:45:50 pm »
I also just use my finger or thumb to rub off the scales... WITH THE GRAIN... from head to tail. If you hold the bow up to the light, you can see any remaining scales. They're kind of dull, while the skin underneath is more bright. If you rub against the grain, it turns up the edge of the under scales, and looks like hell. Finish with spray or wipe-on poly.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:55:24 pm »
Go to Wal-Mart and get yourself a big fat Pink Gum Eraser....like the Kindergartens use....they will take the Stubborn ones right off......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:57:51 pm »
Man, I thought them big ol erasers were for throwin at your buddies in class...they got some real knock down power ;D....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »
Man, I thought them big ol erasers were for throwin at your buddies in class...they got some real knock down power ;D....Brian

Yep...got put in detention for using one with a big old Pink Rubber Band once....you might be old enough to remember the Real Rubber Rubber Bands....now they had some real Power!!! Erasers and Paper Clips...with a Rubber Band...now theres a Weapon!!!

Careful....You'll Put An Eye Out With That!!!!!

::)

2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:32 pm »
I like to scrape" with the scales" really gently with a french curve scraper.  Then check it over in sunlight and get the stubbord ones off with my fingernail.
Traverse City, MI

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:46:02 pm »
Thanks guys. appreciate it. Think I got them all off.
used a combination of the wool and tape. then wool then tape til I couldnt get any more off with the tape.
I cant really hardly see them stuck to the skin though. maybe it is me or maybe it is the skins.
think I got them all.
thanks.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »
Compressed air works better than anything i've tried.  Just make sure to blow away from the edges.  I never had it to lift a skin before, but why take the chance?   Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 12:22:47 am »
  Never thought to try that Shannon, I have a compressor in the shop. I'll have to try it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:57 am »
Must be nice to have all these skins to play with :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »
It is Dana. I've picked up 2 rat snakes in the road in the last 3 days and seen a half dozen more that were too far gone to get.  I missed out on a big copperhead last week. By the time I found him he was flat as a pancake and all busted up :(  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.