Author Topic: Scotch Broom ?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline deerhunter97370

Scotch Broom ?
« on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:48 am »
Has anyone made a bow from Scotch Broom? Ive heard its a good bow wood but have never seen a bow from it. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Keenan

Re: Scotch Broom ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:06:18 am »
Joel, Scotch broom is some tough stuff for sure and I've pondered if it would make a bow but have not tried it yet. We have some around here that is big enough and I would say it's worth a try. Let us know the results if you try it ;)  Keenan

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:30:37 am »
Most of the Scotch Broom around here is on the side of highways and railroads. that dont have a place to pull over to get to the stuff. But theres a field on highway 34 thats completly covered in the stuff if I could find how owns the field maybe Ill have a lifetime supply. ;DIll deffinately post if I make one. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:31:09 am »
Use it all up.....I'll bet the Land Owner will give it all to you!!!! Another worthless Invasive Weed....just like Salt Cedar....this stuff crowds out all native Species and Wildlife Suffer from it too.... maybe it will catch on like Vine Maple....and everyone will be cutting it!!! Let Us know how it works out......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline BryanB

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04:16 pm »
I have been thinking about trying scotch broom as well.  I even know where I can get some straight wrist size billets.
I cut some test pieces last year and the ends checked badly without sealing.  I'm curious to see if the wood will twist when drying.
Bryan