Author Topic: Single v. Double bevel  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Kegan

Single v. Double bevel
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:33:39 pm »
Single is supposed to penetrate better, cutting more like a chisel. Lot of game has been taken with double bevels, and they seem a little easier to sharpen/shape. Opinions before I start?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Single v. Double bevel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »
 Either one has worked for me. I am leaning more towards single bevel with a chisel point. But with a single bevel you still have to knock the burrs off the plain side and I put a Rouge polish on the blade side.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:07:15 am »
Where is the serrated option. That is what is on my stone.  ;D On my trade points I have single because it is easier to get a good straight edge. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 12:23:29 am »
  If you find some studies on smooth edges verses serrated (jagged) edges, smooth wins hands down for continouse blood. One study i googled was about obsidean. It said the cleaner the cut the less the body would activate it's anti-coagulant defence because it didn't get the signle to the brain it was hurt. That was also why for more delicate surgery Obsidean was used, it helped in the healing process as the cut was so clean and less tissue damaged. That's why I invested in a set of paper wheels for my bench grinder so I could get that "mirrow" polish on my broadhead points.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:35:03 pm »
I've heard, and it has been my limited experience, that if you make the single bevel on the correct side, the head will twist while penetrating, causing less drag than the double bevel and giving it better penetration. All kinds of animals have been taken with double bevel, though, so they definantly do work! ;)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:34:55 pm »
I've heard, and it has been my limited experience, that if you make the single bevel on the correct side, the head will twist while penetrating, causing less drag than the double bevel and giving it better penetration. All kinds of animals have been taken with double bevel, though, so they definantly do work! ;)
     Sean

I can't find the article, but I had come across an old article on experimenting with single bevels. I think it was someone testing his new Grizzly heads for a deer hunt. 

"...[T]he single bevel also had a chisel effect, much like a drill bit... It put the edge directly into the meat."

But he was using that ballistic gel stuff in the tests. He never gave any numbers, or compared the two. Simply said that they work. He got his mule deer though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:43:26 pm »
In Dr. Ed Ashby's "Natal Report" he goes into the single bevel theory and penetration. Very interesting reading and very informative...however, the good DR. was doing his study on African animals with heavy bones. With most of the animals we hunt in the US none of it is necessary. IMO.    The animal is just as dead whether hit with a single beveled head or a double bevel. I think a sharp blade and proper shot placement is more important than worrying about having the same angle on your head as your helical twist.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:16 pm »
    I agree with Pat, I think the most important thing is shot placement. Then arrowhead sharpness. I go above and beyond to get my broadheads scarey sharp.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:02:29 am »
     Sean

I can't find the article, but I had come across an old article on experimenting with single bevels. I think it was someone testing his new Grizzly heads for a deer hunt. 

"...[T]he single bevel also had a chisel effect, much like a drill bit... It put the edge directly into the meat."

But he was using that ballistic gel stuff in the tests. He never gave any numbers, or compared the two. Simply said that they work. He got his mule deer though.

Well then, that's what you said in the first place, I just didn't understand it... :D
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:04:48 pm »
Well, I conducted a little "test" last night. I had mounted a single bevel trade point, and had it lying nearby. I took a piece of paracord and pushed the point past. Nothing. I sharpened it. Now it cut slightly. I took one of my brother's Zwickey broadhead arrows and did the same. It cut beautifully. The difference in sharpenning was also noticeable. The single bevel points are in a short, narrow design that puts the shaft very close to the point- making it difficult to remove the bur from the flat side. So, I'm opting for double bevel- extra penetration is of no use if you can't get it sharp!