Author Topic: metal id?  (Read 964 times)

Offline paulc

metal id?
« on: October 10, 2024, 07:04:11 pm »
hello All, been a while since I played with any knife making...so thanks in advance for reminding me how to go!

Any guess on the metal?  No marks of any kind.  It is a restaurant "grade" knife that I rescued from the garbage.  I am debating on simply putting a new handle on it or maybe making two smaller blades out of it.  To reduce its size (I think it is ginormous in its current shape) or cut in half I heat it to red to soften it, do my bulk material removal, then reheat and quench in oil....I know that is pretty general but that's the basic idea right?

Thanks so much, Paul

Offline KHalverson

Re: metal id?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2024, 09:01:55 pm »
my guess would be some grade of stainless steel check it with a magnet.
id just change the shape to your liking.
keep it cool while modifications are made.
or you chance ruining the temper.
i wouldnt mess with trying to reheat treat and temper if it is stainless.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2024, 12:08:21 am »
my guess would be some grade of stainless steel check it with a magnet.

I agree on being stainless, the vast majority of kitchen knives are. As far as I have seen any stainless steel that will hold an edge will also hold a magnet, so that may not tell OP very much.

I also agree with re-shaping and not trying to redo the heat treatment on a mystery steel that is very likely stainless of some sort. Without knowing the exact material it will almost certainly end with a ruined blade.

Mark

Offline paulc

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2024, 11:34:53 am »
hmmm, thanks for the feedback.  Def holds a magnet...no playing with fire eh?  Ok

Best, Paul