Main Discussion Area > Bows

Stuck takedown sleeve.

(1/3) > >>

Hamish:
I have a couple of nice unused takedown sleeves that I bought a decade or so. When new I could take them apart, but now they are stuck.
I don't want to potentially distort them with force, I've tried to use a heat gun, and pliers to loosen the joint, unsuccessfully. Unless anyone's got any bright ideas, my next try will be with an oxy/propane or mapp torch ???

superdav95:
Are they Steel on steel or brass on steel?  You could try the other extreme and use freezing.  Dry ice in middle of center sleeve to shrink it ever so slight to get it to budge.  I wonder if it has oxidation bi dong them??? 

willie:
the heat gun heats too slowly and heats both at the same time.

--- Quote from: superdav95 on October 05, 2024, 12:13:18 am ---  You could try the other extreme and use freezing.   

--- End quote ---

use both heat and cold.

freeze a long soaking wet tight wood plug into the degreased inner.
have a dowel or bolt to use as a driver and a clamp for gripping the outer
once frozen, apply heat with the hottest torch to the outer sleeve only. apply heat as fast and hard as possible for a short time to the outer such that the heat does not have time to transfer to the inner
a timely whack on the thru dowel.......

Eric Krewson:
No one mentioned penetrating oil, it is made to free up seized stuff.

GlisGlis:

--- Quote from: Eric Krewson on October 05, 2024, 10:53:55 am ---No one mentioned penetrating oil, it is made to free up seized stuff.

--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version