Author Topic: Life on the Farm  (Read 165485 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life on the Farm
« Reply #1245 on: September 27, 2024, 07:35:09 am »
Looking good BJ as always. :) Bob tell Matt and Bruce I said ha, hope yall get a bunch of squirrels and I know you will have a good time.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1246 on: October 01, 2024, 07:03:45 am »
Been very busy. I know much of the east coast has been receiving way to much rain, but we are still in a dry streak. The hurricane didn’t come this far north and we have been busy with harvest.

We finished up my son’s black beans and then our neighbors.

I planted all our wheat except the last field that still has some replanted beans of our that aren’t quite ready yet.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1247 on: October 01, 2024, 07:09:58 am »
My wife spent the weekend with her sisters and I was going to get ready for opening day but as I was enjoying the view from my favorite tree stand I got a call from my son. The chopper was coming to chop his corn.

So I climbed down from my tree and went to my truck.  The sun was going down and I knew there was a chopper in this field somewhere.

Oh there it is.

Bjrogg

PS fill er up

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1248 on: October 01, 2024, 07:53:55 am »
The chopper crew wanted to chop hay in the morning so we chopped corn thru the night until we had the bunker full.

The next day we moved the edge to the top and straightened it out. Then we covered it up with plastic and put lime on top to hold the plastic down.

Glad that job is done. In a few weeks we will probably be filling the other half of bunker with shelled high moisture corn.

Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #1249 on: October 02, 2024, 06:44:21 am »
Work is never done. Didn't miss much on the opener - real quiet around here.  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1250 on: October 02, 2024, 12:22:44 pm »
Work is never done. Didn't miss much on the opener - real quiet around here.  (=) Bob.

For sure Bob. I did sneak out yesterday about 11:30. I had my “hunting clothes “ on while helped replace a new leaf spring for semi trailer. My camo pattern blended in with a dirty shop floor really good by the time I got to go to the woods.

The wind was warm and out of the south when I went to my tree stand. The weather was going to change quickly.

Within a hour it was blowing from the west. Then it cooled right off and I had to put some extra layers on. Then it switched to from the north and it was strong and drizzling.

I got out of my tree and sat on the ground for a bit but it was too windy to shoot so I went to the beach for awhile.

Was hoping it would get a little nicer but it didn’t

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1251 on: October 02, 2024, 12:36:33 pm »
I waited for awhile but the weather wasn’t improving so I decided to go home. I got there just in time to see the last two batters of the Tigers game. I have been telling my brother that this year is like a movie and the movie continues. What an exciting game.

This morning I went out and very quietly got to my stand. As I put my hand on my ladder I looked around really good. In the morning darkness I could barely see two darker shapes. I couldn’t climb my stand so I very slowly backed up and got behind a tree. The wind was right and I don’t think they saw me.

My bow wasn’t strung . After awhile it got light enough I could see the one was a decent buck. Still pretty dark but I could see a rack .

I tried to string my bow. The buck must have seen me somewhere along the line and he started that dreaded stare. I don’t think he really knew what I was but he got nervous enough he trotted off.

I got in my tree. After that it was just raccoons and a sunrise.

Bjrogg