Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 23124 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2024, 09:09:46 pm »
I had a trade bow down to final tillering and something slipped and it flew off the tillering tree, and cracked a limb less than a week before deadline. I was sick. It was looking great and I was even gonna enter it as a contender for bow of the month.

I sent my apologies and brooded for two days. I laid in bed one night and it was just eating at me, I could not get to sleep. So I got up, went to the garage, turned on the radio. I pulled out a stave with the bark on just as the classic JJ Cale song began to play....After Midnight, pretty appropriate since it was just a little after midnite. This was the original, not the cover by Slow Hand.

Some time around dawn I was down to final tillering, fastest I had ever made a bow. I glued on tip overlays and set it aside. That evening after work I hit tiller, draw weight, and draw length with a few dozen scrapes. I finish sanded and started laying on the finish. One of the best bows I have ever made and the recipient really liked it. I think I shipped it only a little late.  My two take-away lessons: 1) Don't get caught in analysis paralysis, and 2) never beat yourself up excessively, learn to forgive yourself.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2024, 11:25:10 pm »
Thanks , I’ll clear out some space. 

How does everyone feel about next weekend as the shipping date?
Ill probably ship next week, bit if not, certainly the week after.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2024, 10:28:48 pm »
I’m going to be good to go for the shipping date.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2024, 02:22:22 pm »
In my haste to get this bow finished I forgot to put any info on it.  So I’m guessing that I probably can’t do it after 4-5 coats of tru-oil. Also if I remember right I’ve seen that some of you knock the shine off with spray on (satin) polyurethane. I may or may not do that. I might leave that off it and if my recipient wants to dull it he can do it.
I guess I’ll include a card with the bows info on it. If I can’t get anything written on it. Not that that matters, at least to me.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2024, 04:10:48 pm »
I did mine with tongue oil, then painted over that, then a couple coats of true oil over that to finish it.  I think if you have an oil based paint or paint pen you could write over the true oil and then put one more coat over top once it's dry to protect it.  Not sure if others have done that before or not.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2024, 04:43:51 pm »
My pen writes on it but it rubs right off after drying for a while. I’m hoping my guy doesn’t care about the normal info put on a bow. I actually have their name on it.  I might write info on it then put some tru oil or spray polyurethane on it.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2024, 06:09:04 pm »
Bow is finished except for putting info on it.
Here are the stats
65.5 inches n t n
49.5 lbs at full draw after being out in my shop all night, it’s pretty humid here.
About 720 G total weight with 5-6 coats of tru oil and the handle wrap.
Measured the weight at
14 inch draw 19.2lb
18 inch “”.     28lb
22 inch.         38lb
26 inch.         49lb

I don’t know how to calculate the draw force curve. Probably need more measurements.
Seems like it gaining weight evenly and I guess that’s a good thing but, don’t know.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2024, 06:56:54 pm »
Info on it, ready to ship.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2024, 09:19:34 pm »
Got mine packed up today, it's ready to put in the mail.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #234 on: September 27, 2024, 11:05:52 am »
You should have all been sent your guy’s address.  If you didn’t get it, or I sent you the wrong details, please just let me know.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #235 on: September 27, 2024, 12:19:58 pm »
I’ll try and get mine out tomorrow.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #236 on: September 27, 2024, 04:16:55 pm »
I was actually about to walk out the door to mail my bow off and my wife asked me if I’d thought about the impact the hurricane might have on shipping. I had not. So I’m thinking I’m going to wait at least a few days or a week and see how things are looking.
Really hoping everyone down that way is safe. It looked bad. I have a nephew in Sarasota who as of yesterday said it wasn’t to bad there.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2024, 05:56:57 pm »
Not a bad idea.  I'm in central NC and we had several tornados today, and the mountains had a lot of flooding.  Everyone south of here got it really bad too.  I'll probably put mine in the main Monday or Tuesday