Author Topic: Twist and shout  (Read 303 times)

Offline Muskyman

Twist and shout
« on: September 25, 2024, 05:32:50 pm »
Starting a new one. Wanted to try something different and had this hickory stave with a bunch of propeller twist in it.  I figured I’d give it a shot and see what happens.
I’ll post more pictures as I move forward.  Going to try and straighten one limb at a time and see how it goes.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Twist and shout
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2024, 06:01:17 pm »
Cool.  With hickory being so resistant to breaking, even with grain run-outs and back violations, I've long wondered if you could make a bow out of twisted hickory and just leave it twisted.  I bet you could get away with it if you kept the weight fairly low.  It would be interesting to try, and you might end up with a bow that looked like a narwhal horn!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2024, 08:22:11 pm »
You could tiller the twist out of it so it's straight at full draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2024, 08:57:38 pm »
You might could do that Pat, I doubt I could.  I was thinking about steaming it out then using dry heat to set the limbs. I don’t know if that will work but that was my thinking.  I tried very hard to follow the grain in the stave. It’s 70 inches long and 1&1/2 wide at the fades. Planning on a pyramid style bow. Probably has 1/4 turn of twist to it.
Anyone ever done that? Can it be done?  I really don’t know.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2024, 09:34:02 pm »
I’ve done it with Osage. But it’s easier to cut the center of the bow on the belly side of handle until It’s about 3/4”  then heat and twist the handle section. That gets  a lot of the propeller out. I did a bow build on here with that method. I shined the sawed section and did a glue on to the belly of handle. You can also put reflex or deflex in the handle at that point.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 09:00:08 am »
That twist should pull out no problem while heat treating. Get it floor tillered for minimal wood thickness then make a couple wedges from pine so it’s softer than the hickory. Use the wedges to twist the limbs about 20% further than thy currently are while heating, once locked in where you want scorch the snot out of the belly.

You could also leave that amount of twist, it’s not a problem at all. This spring I did an Osage where one limb had about 80* of twist and I left it. It shoots fine. Just use a single side nock in the high side of the limb and the string will stay put

Kyle

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2024, 06:40:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I’m not sure how I’m going to attack this thing yet but did get some interesting feedback. I did work on it some today and have it shaped, mostly.
1-1/2 at the fades and about 3/8 at the tip. 70 inches long. It’s at floor tiller and bending somewhat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:18:43 am »
I have done a lot of Hickory , you can take that out pretty easy with dry heat, I usually on one with a lot of propeller take it out in 2 or 3 sessions , or what every it takes, be patent, :) it will sometimes rupture the back if you try and take it all at once.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:37:44 pm »
Thanks Pappy, I think I’ll try it your way. Do one limb at a time and see what I can do with it. Once I get the twist out I’ll probably clamp it and try to add a little reflex.  I’ve actually got about 6-8 staves from the same tree and all of them have the prop twist. If I don’t make a bow from this one I can try again on another one. Never a waste of time trying to make a bow.