Main Discussion Area > Bows

Arrow weight vs force draw curve

<< < (2/2)

bassman211:
The Turks way back when, tapered there flight arrows both ends to the middle, with tiny fletching, and shot arrows in the 220 to 250 gr. range as I understand it, They used over draws in some cases on there bows, and would heat there bows before shooting for distance in some cases. Some recorded distances they shot were not in the realm of reality in my mind. I still can't conceive it in my mind, and have no clue of the math, and physics involved.

Muskyman:
I really don’t have anything to add to this conversation but, I started wondering what the heck is force draw curve. Looked it up and how to calculate it and now I’m going to have to calculate it on one of my bows.  (W  Well maybe I am.

Mo_coon-catcher:
What you need is two chronographs. A shoot through for up close and a Labradar style so you can measure velocity at the bow and set the other up for 100yards out. For your purpose you can just run with the given numbers to find out the rate of velocity drop per distance or can use the numbers to calculate the ballistic coefficient. This is how the average rifleman calculates the bullets BC from a specific barrel as it almost always varies from manufacturers given number. I think there are more radar style chronographs than Labradar but they were the first commercial one. I also recommend the Caldwell G2 geography for a shoot through. I rarely have reading errors and tested with a magneto speed chronograph with a rifle, it’s dead on with its readings.

Kyle

Mo_coon-catcher:
I just did a quick read on the Labrador and it already tracks velocities every 5 yards or so out to 100 yards, or however far you have to shoot. So would be great data for flight shooting and you wouldn’t need a shoot through chronograph too unless you want it for velocity verification. But it’s not cheap and requires an extra accessories to work with arrows.

Kyle

mmattockx:

--- Quote from: Mo_coon-catcher on September 19, 2024, 12:17:16 pm ---I think there are more radar style chronographs than Labradar but they were the first commercial one.

--- End quote ---

The Garmin is currently the hot one to have. A buddy has one and it is very slick. Easy set up, does a bunch of the math for you on standard deviation and other statistical measures. I don't know if it tracks velocity over multiple ranges like the LabRadar does.

https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/771164

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version