Author Topic: A few more arrows. Ash and Lime.  (Read 607 times)

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
A few more arrows. Ash and Lime.
« on: September 03, 2024, 06:33:06 pm »
  Here's a few more arrows I made, ash spined 110ish, with light target points 12mm barrelled, tapering to 8mm at the nock and 3/8" at the arrowhead, with minimal taper at the head to keep them front heavy, walnut stain and red oxide pigment stain with real gold thread, canada goose fletchings.
The  12mm barrelled lime are greylag goose bound on with silk thread, all the arrows bindings are sealed in with multiple coats of rabbit skin glue, the lime shafts are spined 120 with forged type 10 arrowheads. They have picked up some green tint from the copper pot I melt the glue in, but doesn't really show that well in the photo.
Both sets perform really well, I used my shooting board to get them all to match in spine with multiple staggered tapers and measured with a basic spine tester.
The arrows with the gold thread really catch the sunlight  :D
R.D.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 06:42:46 pm by Ruddy Darter »
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Online Muskyman

Re: A few more arrows. Ash and Lime.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 11:41:05 pm »
Those look really nice RD. I’m guessing that took a minute. Never made an arrow other then fletching them many years ago. Did you make the shafts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 12:09:57 am »
Nice arrows, RD.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 02:32:33 pm »
Thanks Pat B, Muskyman,
 I didn't make these shafts, the lime shafts were recommended by Strelets and were reasonably priced, they were 12mm and were way overspined, so I worked multiple staggered full length tapers to get the spines matching, they all end at 8mm at the nock, but some are fatter throughout the length than others as there was a lot of variation in the shafts. I'm trying to find the happy medium between spine and wood type weight, I have some alder timber(photo) that I'm going to run through a taper jig and see how that is, it's a little heavier and denser than the lime, so I think they will work out ideal. I'm hand sawing them so may take a little elbow grease, but I've made a start. The lime shafts are very good, if still a little light, thank you Strelets for the recommendation.
R.D.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 02:37:47 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 02:50:28 pm »
Those are outstanding.   French knights better keep their distance.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 04:26:38 pm »
Thank you WhistlingBadger   :D.
 R.D.