Author Topic: Questions on Hickory log  (Read 674 times)

Offline Lost Oki

Questions on Hickory log
« on: August 30, 2024, 04:29:14 pm »
I am new at splitting logs for staves. I managed to obtain a hickory log, approx 90 inches long, 7" dia at base and approx 5" at the top.  Unfortunately when they pushed the tree over they gouged the base (see picture attached).  Plan is to cut to 70" and split, anticipating 4 staves.    My question:  Should I cut off the bottom or the top.
If I cut off bottom I can get rid of most of the gouge.  Note:  sealed both ends with black exterior paint, water base, 2 thick coats within hour of cutting.  other gouges are in bark only.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 06:55:08 pm by Lost Oki »

Offline Muskyman

Re: Questions on Hickory log
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 05:05:59 pm »
Is the black part from being hit by lightning?
I’d just split it then shorten it after it dries. See if you can get the bark to come off after you split it. Then seal it and store it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 05:09:44 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 06:55:50 pm »
Black paint I used to seal all bare wood

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 07:02:25 pm »
Okay then. I’d get to splitting it and trying to get the bark off it. Hickory splits pretty straight typically. It’s tough wood and makes great bows. Does need to be really dry though. I’ve got some that’s been put up for a year this September and it’s still at about 17% mc actually tested it today.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 07:07:54 pm »
On fresh cut hickory during the growling season, the bark should peel off rather easily, leaving the freshly uncovered wood as the back of the bow. Then you don’t need to chase a ring.
I would get it split, get bark removed, then seal the back with something clear so you can see what your working it’s when you go to layout your bow when it is dry.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 10:17:54 am »
You don't need to seal the bare wood at the split. You are going to have a time getting that bark off at this time of year, best to do it while your staves are still green.

I pop a line on a hickory half or quarter and cut a deep kurf with a skill saw for more even staves. Hickory grain seldom runs off to the side like osage, the wood is very tolerant of grain violations.

These are all sapwood staves, the pile to the left is the heartwood and side pieces that I cut off the finished staves. Every bit of the scrap was used in BBQ grills and smokers for cooking, I have used a bunch of it, my friends have as well, I gave everyone a 5-gallon bucket of cut up pieces.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 10:36:56 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2024, 10:21:24 am »
This was late summer cut hickory, the bark was stuck on like concrete, it took me 2 weeks to get the bark and cambium off these 18 staves. I sealed the backs and ends with shellac. I gave almost all of this wood away to friends and bow students that passed through my shop, I never made a bow out of any of it. My last crop of bow making students all made bows from this wood, very good bows.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 10:26:10 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2024, 11:01:15 am »
Hey Eric.  Did any of those heartwood splits get used for bows?  I bet a boo backed heartwood hickory would be good.  😌
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2024, 02:25:02 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  Split the log this morning and I got 4 possibly 5 staves out of this log, all are still at the 90" length.  I may be able to follow the ring on the 5 stave and save it.  Will get them peeled this afternoon and seal with diluted Tightbond III. Have a place under the house that I can store to dry.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2024, 10:09:49 am »
I didn't use any of the heartwood, I have an unlimited supply of wood so only use the best of the best.

Offline Lost Oki

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2024, 11:11:05 pm »
Update:  Log split, 5 staves, 2 have had bark removed, would not peel so I have been cutting off with drawknife.  Sealed with Tightbond III.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2024, 11:54:08 pm »
I’ve steamed the staves and got the bark to come off. It’s not really easy but it can be done. Basically I put it into a 6 inch piece of hvac duct and sealed the ends with tape on one end and stuffed rags into the end where my wall paper steamer hose goes in. Steam it for about a hour then take it out and start peeling the bark off. Worked good on some not so good on others. Next time I cut hickory it’ll be during the growing season..😁

Offline Bruce M

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2024, 05:44:43 pm »

I pop a line on a hickory half or quarter and cut a deep kurf with a skill saw for more even staves. Hickory grain seldom runs off to the side like osage, the wood is very tolerant of grain violations.

Thank you for that helpful tip, I'll be trying the skil saw instead of splitting them from the end on both sides of the stave.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2024, 10:56:15 am »
There was not one stave in the bunch that was harmed by cutting to size instead of splitting. I cut this tree after a tornado pushed it over, I initially cut two 7' sections from the trunk, I halved the logs with a chainsaw and split the halves with wedges as well as splitting off as much of the heart wood as I could where the tree fell. I cut the tree up on a ridge, my truck was at the bottom of the valley. I needed to reduce the quarters weight so I could drag them down to my truck, some of these pieces weighed around 75# after I split off the waste wood, it was a big tree.

As you can see, this trunk split straight and true with wedges, I knew kirfing it with a skill saw wouldn't be a problem and save me a lot of work. I had a very good carbide blade on my saw that cut the green hickory like butter.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 11:00:25 am by Eric Krewson »