Author Topic: "PA forum will be closing down"  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
Re: "PA forum will be closing down"
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2024, 12:59:26 am »
 First of all thank you all for recognizing what a wealth of information and community this forum is.  Yes we are working to figure out how to keep the forum, the information and the community going despite Primitive Archer Magazine closing its doors.

PatB has been in contact as has GlisGlis and a few others.  There are some hurdles and what has been our biggest concern over the years is loss of information . We had a big loss of information with some technical issues I think around 2007.  Monroe would love for this forum to continue on more than anything. We have to follow a protocol and also figure out the logistics technically etc.
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2024, 01:00:02 am »
Ok. So I just spoke to Monroe on the phone!  What a great guy!  He took the time generously to explain the basics of what would be needed to have a person or group to take over the site and run it.  He said it would involve and transfer of ownership firstly and then discuss price for the data and archives ecetera.  He stated that they are open to a transfer and not going to just shut everything down without warning.  They are just very preoccupied with their Labour Day sale they a running now to get rid of extra inventory.  They will deal with the site stuff after the sale.   

On that if anyone is interested in back issues hard copy volumes now is the time to save some money.  http://shop.primitivearcher.com/

He said I could let everyone know here about the sale.   

So some good new then on the site front and that they will entertain a group even to take it over.

Dave,  did Monroe mention if he intends to keep his store online longer than the forum?  He has quite a few mags in inventory I presume, both electronic and print.

I also wonder if there is a way to keep the site info and pics in some electronic format besides a database on a server?   As far a maintaining a server goes, there is quite a bit of difference in maintaining static read-only site and one open to posting and new members.

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2024, 08:04:25 am »
I also wonder if there is a way to keep the site info and pics in some electronic format besides a database on a server?   As far a maintaining a server goes, there is quite a bit of difference in maintaining static read-only site and one open to posting and new members.

Yes you can save pages as pure html and read them offline on any browser without the need of a server (you loose all the forum functionalities except reading and moving between pages).
There are also software known as website downloader or website copier that let you do that.
Pa is Very large tough and the process of an entire copy could take Alot of time and end up in many GBs of disk space
It can also slow down the site as the server would be requested thousands of pages (as many as a man manually visiting every single forum page)
Usually download softwares provide features like partial download based on filters but in my opinion they are not suited for our case.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2024, 09:53:43 pm »

Yes you can save pages as pure html and read them offline on any browser without the need of a server (you loose all the forum functionalities except reading and moving between pages).

I've been doing that for years
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2024, 05:24:12 pm »
Will the site be archived? Can we crowd fund to finance it to keep running? This page has done so much to advance archery and build friendships, as well as archive the communications of those no longer with us, how can we lose it?

Those are questions I put to Pat B some time ago when I saw the writing on the wall.

There are a number of sites for many different interests of mine that are partial paywall. For general stuff it is free access, but top content and vending requires subscription. Those subscriptions are not expensive and generally are worth the effort, some as low as 2 bucks a month. But it pays for the housekeeping and mortgage.

I am willing to put up the first $200 to migrate this forum to a more enduring situation. I am sure others may be willing to chip in as well.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2024, 01:02:16 pm »
Just to get this back to the top, I’d be willing to chip in too. If enough people are willing to donate it shouldn’t be to much money to keep things rolling.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2024, 11:08:00 pm »
Definitely willing to help out financially. I don’t contribute as much as I used to with starting a family and my career but this forum is how I connect with the community and has such a wealth of knowledge. It’s irreplaceable even if slowing down.  (W

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2024, 08:15:54 pm »
I'm in to donate to keep the site alive.

Offline Piddler

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2024, 08:31:16 pm »
I'm In as well.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline paulc

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2024, 08:34:57 pm »
I'm in 2. I bought a hat just to help them get their money out of their swag....hate wearing hats. Paul

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2024, 10:41:21 am »
Primitive Archer forum has been more than a forum for knowledge but a family and brotherhood...one of the few internet sites void of politics, advertisement, or B.S. Lets stay in touch, knowledge is eternal.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2024, 06:14:40 pm »
I am in also.