Author Topic: "PA forum will be closing down"  (Read 3344 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Re: "PA forum will be closing down"
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2024, 01:22:31 pm »
Sure hate to see this, but figured it was coming.  I wish I had the time and expertise to take it over; it sure would be worth doing.  It has always amazed me that, in the era of dying forums, this place has stayed so active.  It's a testament to the quality of the people who make their own bows.   Monroe and Marie, if you're reading this, thanks for all you've done.  It's been a heck of a good run and for all our griping and "suggestions," we appreciate all you've done.

If somebody can figure how to make it work, I'd sure be willing to throw a few bucks in the pot to keep things going...

So, I floated the idea (see my first reply) to the owner of SCDucks.  Here is what he replied…

We would be happy to give them an interim forum as long as they have a clear exit strategy to a new space. SCDUCKS was hosted by several sites in the early days and we passed it on hosting other sites to let them get their feet under them. What we don't want is another influx of 2010ers...

A couple of folks replied that it’s more like 1860-ers than 2010-ers, and I let them know most of the posters on here are either old or old-souls. 

Again, I know nothing about any of the tech aspects of the internet or computers beyond how to use the internet an participate in forums.  If there is someone or are multiple people that would be interested in keeping this going, this could certainly buy us time. 

I feel like the folks at SCDucks would quickly realize that having us all over there on a new “Primitive Archer” sub-section with sub-forums will be nothing but a win-win.  The “2010-ers” comment is referencing a time when they did something that encouraged an influx of new posters…most of which were young, immature keyboard warrior-trolls, and the reason I suggested SCDucks in the first place is because the site is truly not like AT and other big archery boards where you have to wade thru and endure pissing matches to find anything of value.  It’s a lot like this community but with a broader range of forum categories.

If anyone is interested in exploring this possibility further, PM me your phone number, and I’ll call to discuss.  I can easily get direct phone communication set up with the owner over there to see what can be worked out.

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2024, 01:27:01 pm »
If curious, go to SCDucks.com and look around to get a feel of what the community is like.  I think you can view the forums without having to sign-up.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2024, 03:33:37 pm »
@ssrhythm
just checked and SCDucks.com uses vBulletin as Content Management System while PA is on Simple Machines Forums CMS.

The hosting specs are the same but the middle software is different. Contents published on a platform would not be easy to be moved to the other.

While their offer is very generous I'll use it as very last resort

Offline jflute

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2024, 04:34:20 pm »
This is shocking and heartbreaking. I found PA about 10 years ago took a break from viewing and posting a few years ago but was able to connect with so much knowledge. Count me on a subscription moving forward. I'll pay close attention to whether or not this community migrates to a new forum or we can stay here!

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2024, 06:03:55 pm »

Someone that personally knows Monroe should speak to him and check:
Who here knows Monroe?

I'm not familiar with "simple machine software"
open source, actively maintained   https://www.simplemachines.org/

I have all the skills needed to do the backups, migration and eventually updates. Actually my biggest problem is time.

Do you have time to assist others with your expertise?
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?action=mlist;sort=id_group;start=0
lists the admins, presumably with backup priviliges but maybe not with the expertise,
or were you refering to backup images of the server?

we need to know the expires date of the hosting !!!
if it expires we loose database and sites

Yes, contacting Monroe is a priority!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2024, 10:40:44 pm »
if we could save the site that would be amazing, this place has been my teacher and my creative outlet for almost a quarter of my life. it would suck to lose it.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2024, 01:22:46 am »
I'm willing to help keep things going.  I've learned so much here in my short time as a member.  I really hope we can keep it alive.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2024, 05:36:31 am »
yup, I meant that I never used it.
I've used other CMS so I expect it to be similar in many functionalities

lists the admins, presumably with backup priviliges but maybe not with the expertise,

"simple machines" has a built in feature that let administrators do a database backup
Unfortunately it has known bugs and it's not reliable.

To do a backup we need access to the host cPanel (or whatever database management software it provides) and have Ftp access to save all the media (images, documents...).
These information are usually kept secret by the owner of the site and maybe by a trusted administrator/webmaster because with these you can completely wipe out the site.

As far as my involvement I'm still trying to decide
I'd really like to see if someone who personally knows Monroe chimes in and can answer the above basic questions

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2024, 10:15:17 am »
Unfortunately I know next to nothing about servers but I think amateurhour has some knowledge about the PA forum but he hasn't been on for nearly a month
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2024, 10:41:27 am »
I frequent this sight more than once a day, and this is sad news. I hope that it can survive.  Their is a world of bow building knowledge on this forum that is help full for any one interested in making wood bows. 

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2024, 11:06:24 am »
I assume everyone has gotten the e-mail/PM I received and read it. It talks about the PA magazine closing and why. It also has an office phone number I assume you could call and get answers to any questions about what the owner may or may not be willing to do.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2024, 11:20:02 am »
yup, I meant that I never used it.
I've used other CMS so I expect it to be similar in many functionalities

"simple machines" has a built in feature that let administrators do a database backup
Unfortunately it has known bugs and it's not reliable.

To do a backup we need access to the host cPanel (or whatever database management software it provides) and have Ftp access to save all the media (images, documents...).
These information are usually kept secret by the owner of the site and maybe by a trusted administrator/webmaster because with these you can completely wipe out the site.

As far as my involvement I'm still trying to decide
I'd really like to see if someone who personally knows Monroe chimes in and can answer the above basic questions

Agreed!   Someone who personally knows the Monroe’s should reach out and have a conversation like GlisGlis says.  I would be willing to make the time to manage the site but I do not have the expertise to do so.   I’d be willing to learn but my tech/computing skills are very basic.  Certainly not sufficient to run a site. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2024, 12:51:04 pm »
Ok. So I just spoke to Monroe on the phone!  What a great guy!  He took the time generously to explain the basics of what would be needed to have a person or group to take over the site and run it.  He said it would involve and transfer of ownership firstly and then discuss price for the data and archives ecetera.  He stated that they are open to a transfer and not going to just shut everything down without warning.  They are just very preoccupied with their Labour Day sale they a running now to get rid of extra inventory.  They will deal with the site stuff after the sale.   

On that if anyone is interested in back issues hard copy volumes now is the time to save some money.  http://shop.primitivearcher.com/

He said I could let everyone know here about the sale.   

So some good new then on the site front and that they will entertain a group even to take it over. 

Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2024, 01:56:26 pm »
Good move Dave
i sent an email to Monroe and Calendargirl but did not have an answer yet

Offline willie

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2024, 04:52:40 pm »
Ok. So I just spoke to Monroe on the phone!  What a great guy!  He took the time generously to explain the basics of what would be needed to have a person or group to take over the site and run it.  He said it would involve and transfer of ownership firstly and then discuss price for the data and archives ecetera.  He stated that they are open to a transfer and not going to just shut everything down without warning.  They are just very preoccupied with their Labour Day sale they a running now to get rid of extra inventory.  They will deal with the site stuff after the sale.   

On that if anyone is interested in back issues hard copy volumes now is the time to save some money.  http://shop.primitivearcher.com/

He said I could let everyone know here about the sale.   

So some good new then on the site front and that they will entertain a group even to take it over.

Dave,  did Monroe mention if he intends to keep his store online longer than the forum?  He has quite a few mags in inventory I presume, both electronic and print.

I also wonder if there is a way to keep the site info and pics in some electronic format besides a database on a server?   As far a maintaining a server goes, there is quite a bit of difference in maintaining static read-only site and one open to posting and new members.