Author Topic: Shipping a bow  (Read 580 times)

Offline Muskyman

Shipping a bow
« on: August 16, 2024, 01:12:40 pm »
Just started thinking about how I might ship my bow trade bow without it getting damaged.
So that’s my question for anyone who has done this before. Do you package it or just let UPS do the packaging. I have looked at shipping tubes but seems like they want to sell you 5 or 10 of them and I don’t need that many.
Thanks Mike

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Shipping a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 03:51:46 pm »
Go to your local plumbers merchant and explain what you’re doing-lots of their pipes are shipped to them in really heavy duty card tubes. 

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 05:11:28 pm »
Funny how things work out. I went to pickup a check from a contractor I did some work for and he was asking about my bow making and I told him about my need for a shipping tube and he said, I think I’ve got one in the warehouse. And he did. It’s a little bigger than I really need but it should work out fine. It’s probably a 6 inch tube and 3 or 4 would’ve worked but hay it’ll work fine. So problem solved. Good idea though stuckinthemud.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2024, 06:18:24 pm »
For future reference. I have used PVC pipes, with end caps fitted. Always mark the container with plenty of "Fragile" stickers, as I have heard plenty of stories about people driving trucks or forklifts over them.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2024, 09:55:59 pm »
I use 1/4” plywood and rip fence pickets in half. Build a 2-1/4 x 6 inch x the length of the bow. Never had one broke since doing this. USPO about fifteen dollars plus shipping. The next four you just buy pickets.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2024, 10:38:41 pm »
I've used PVC pipe with end caps and ship USPS Priority Mail. That way is gets to the destination in 2 to 4 days and with fewer hands touching it. Don't worry about insurance, they won't honor it for selfbows or backed bows unless you can prove how much it is worth...which you can't in their eyes. I've always had very good luck shipping bows USPS Priority Mail.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2024, 10:28:58 am »
It’s funny that I had thought about both ideas   PVC tubing and also thought about ripping some plywood I had left over from a shed I built earlier this year. Also figured I’d write fragile all over it as well. I think I remember a commercial about package handling that showed a gorilla throwing packages around and destroying them. Good ideas all around. Also thought I’d wrap the bow with bubble wrap real good before I placed it inside my container. Also thought I’d cut some cardboard strips to cover it before the bubble wrap. I’m going to do all I can to protect it for sure.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2024, 11:06:00 am »
Foam pool noodles and some tape.

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2024, 11:08:08 am »
Inside the tube of course

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2024, 12:22:57 pm »
I like that idea too. Never thought of that. I might see if I can find a few of those.
Thanks hammer

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2024, 05:40:09 pm »
the last trade bow that was sent to me was sent in a pvc thin walled downspout eaves drain.  it was white and somewhat flexible.  they had packed it with bubble wrap and capped off the ends.  seemed to work well and was light weight for shipping.  just an idea
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2024, 06:12:02 pm »
That’s not a bad idea either Dave. It’s definitely lighter than the cardboard tube I got from my buddy.

Offline Racher

• geometry dash subzero
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2024, 04:43:56 am »
Good lookin bow there! (SH)