Author Topic: 2 things  (Read 1543 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: 2 things
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2024, 05:53:06 pm »
Those aren’t bad odds Bob.  Well done on character elm.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 12:25:45 am by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2024, 10:31:08 pm »
The Dave mead style bow broke at the top limb right out of the riser. I removed the top limb ,and built another one. It was thick enough to tiller the bow with out having to sinew back it. I made the top limb 1 plus inch longer. It works out OK, but it lacks the speed I was expecting. Still it will be fun for some one to shoot. Most of these bows will be give away's for younger archers who want to try there hand at all wood bows.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2024, 12:36:10 am »
Sorry to hear it broke on ya Bob.  I’ve made a ton of these boo bows and not all are great performers.  It really comes down to selecting good bamboo and heat treating the limbs just enough to be a compression benefit and rid good portion of excess moisture.  If all those perimeters are met and tips are light weight it will be a great performer.  The bows I make for younger shooters I sometimes don’t do a heat treatment as deep or at all.  Ive found that these milder bows just need a bake at low heat for a few hours to rid moisture to be decent youth bows. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2024, 07:48:50 pm »
Thanks for the tips on bamboo. I have no idea what kind I have. They are 24 inch cut offs that I bought on ebay.  I didn't use any heat. I shot the 6th attempt elm bow today, 67 inches nock to nock. It has a good back , and I did a lot of belly heat treating. Bow ended up 33 lbs. at 25 inch draw.   Through the chrony it shot a 370 gr arrow at 146 fps average. Sort of wonky limbs. I had to cut the arrow pass  deeper to get the bare shaft flying right. That is 6 elm sapling bows in six weeks from green to finish. Average of 16 to 20 hours per bow.  Using a lot of belly heat treat all turned out with 1 to one, and a half inches of reflex. One failed , and one other one looked  like it might fail at a knot on the back, so I wrapped it. All in all not bad, and guys build elm bows for good reason. It is good bow wood. Time to cut some white oak, and hickory, and black locust saplings next, and get back to work. At the same time I started building these bows I had to admit my wife of 53 years to care home with dimentia. The bow making at this time was the best medicine I could have taken for a really hard time in my life. Good building ,and shooting to all.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2024, 02:44:43 am »
That’s great that you find some comfort in bow building.  Sorry to hear about your wife’s dementia.  That’s got to be very hard to deal with.  Wishing you all the best and happy bow building my friend.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2024, 09:16:34 am »
Thank you Dave for your bow building tips , and compassion for others.  ;D