Author Topic: 2 things  (Read 1544 times)

Offline bassman211

2 things
« on: August 08, 2024, 11:42:23 pm »
I recently cut , reduced, and floor tillered 3 elm saplings, and placed them all on 4 inch reflex forms. Moisture content when placed on the forms were 25 to 26 percent. 10 days later they have dropped to 17 percent moisture content. They are in my basement were the humidity is 65 percent. Hope that I can get working on the bows in a couple of months. 2nd topic is I just sinew backed a Dave Mead style bamboo horse bow, and used 80 grit sand paper to rough the back of the bow. I have always used a hack saw blade to rough the back of other bow woods. How do you guys rough the back of a bamboo bow for sinew backing? Hope this works for me.

Offline superdav95

Re: 2 things
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 12:09:31 pm »
On your first point I would say yes??? Maybe.  Lots of factors and moisture will drop little quicker when worked down more to profile.  As to second point I have done a few of these as you know… how I do my sinew on these style bows is to get ALL the rind off before you start putting sinew on.  I think you’ll be ok at 80 grit but I use at least 36 in past.  Now I use a 20tpi or higher blade to run parallel groves down the length of limb.  It gives it some bite for the glue and sinew to stick.  It also opens up and allows for deeper penetration of sizing coats.  The most important thing with sinew on these 5 piece boo bows is to get that rind off and to do several size coats with very thin hide glue until you see it shine when dry.  Very important for good adhesion.  This becomes more critical on extreme bend bows.  I’ve had good luck with the way I do it but it’s a way and not the way.  I’m sure others have done it differently and had good results.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 12:47:25 pm »
Thanks Dave. The rind is removed, but after I posted I watched on Dave's sight break a limb ,and build an other one, and he did use a fine hack saw blade to rough the back. I should have just ask you before starting. I have sinew backed quite a few bows ,but never bamboo. I used tb3, so maybe it will work .Thanks for your reply. Your are willing to help people on here, and you build excellent bows.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 08:09:01 pm »
No problem.  Anytime. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2024, 10:28:41 pm »
I locked the bows in my truck for a week now . Moisture content is down to 12%. Soon I will be giving them a good belly heat ,and begin the tillering process.  The sinew backed
 bow is about ready for tiller also.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2024, 11:24:15 am »
I just finished the first  elm bow. A knot on the back let go at 68 inches , so I cut it to 54 inches, and made it a bend through handle. Over an inch of reflex. 40 lbs at 25 inches. Lots of character. Sinew is holding on the  horse bow, but I had  to put more sinew on the back . Limbs were bending to much from the fades out to about 6 inches. I will be going to work on another 68 inch elm bow soon. The back looks better on this one, so maybe I will get a 68 inch long bow out of it. I managed to get the staves dry in the end with a heat box, and heavy belly heat treat.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 11:35:23 pm »
Completed the 68 inch bow 40 lbs. at 25 inches. 2 inches of reflex. Feels dead in the hand, draws smooth, and shoots good. Today I split another small elm tree. I will get 2 bows from it. Started reducing one stave to get it to floor tiller. These 2 staves are clean compared to what I have been working with. Should make 2 more 68 inch bows if every thing goes right. I may try reflex deflex bows this time around. I have been really busy building bows lately. I am really stiff when I wake up in the morning, but at 76 it keeps me going.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 11:03:49 am »
Completed the 68 inch bow 40 lbs. at 25 inches. 2 inches of reflex. Feels dead in the hand, draws smooth, and shoots good. Today I split another small elm tree. I will get 2 bows from it. Started reducing one stave to get it to floor tiller. These 2 staves are clean compared to what I have been working with. Should make 2 more 68 inch bows if every thing goes right. I may try reflex deflex bows this time around. I have been really busy building bows lately. I am really stiff when I wake up in the morning, but at 76 it keeps me going.

That’s awesome bassman!   Would love to see some pics.   I’ve got an elm bow on the go I’m hoping to have same success as you have with you elm bow. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2024, 12:21:51 pm »
I’m liking that you’re still going with building and shooting at 76. That gives me some hope for my future endeavors. I’ve got a couple elm staves sitting around, been drying for about a year or so now. I’m a little stiff in the morning too. I’m only 68 though. Still in pretty good shape though. Hope I’m still here and able at 76. Keep on keeping on bassman, good luck with your next ones.

Offline Will B

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2024, 01:01:40 pm »
That’s great, Bob. I will try to get over to check those elm bows out soon.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2024, 08:53:49 pm »
Thank you gentlemen. When I am done with all of them I will try to get my son to post pics. You are welcome to come to house anytime Bill.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2024, 06:30:46 pm »
This may not be worth reading to many of you, because I can't post pics, and I understand. The last  elm bow that I was working on was 64 inches long 43lbs at 25+ inch draw. All was going good, so I decided to give the limbs a  1 hour heavy belly heat treat on both limbs. I let it rehydrate for a day, and started tillering again, and when I got to 24 inches on the tiller tree both limbs broke. Big bang. Some thing like a 308 going off. ??? I had some tiny raised knots on the bow's back,  and one from each limb let go. Lesson learned about tiny knots on a bow's back, and heavy belly heat treat. I have 2 more floor tillered, and placed on forms, and when I get them dry enough I will go to work on them again. Good building , shooting, and hunting to all. I shoot target tonight at our club. Can't wait to try my latest elm bows.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 11:50:17 pm »
That’s too bad Bob.  I think your assessment is likley correct about the knots.  Good to hear you gonna forge ahead and keep going with the others. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2024, 02:22:10 pm »
No big deal Dave. I know a clean back is always better to work with. Next time around I'll get some better wood, but I will have some fun playing with what I have for now. Never upsets me any more if I break one.  I shot the others last night at our club,  and with a little bit of touch up they will be good.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2024, 11:58:41 am »
I just finished  the 4th successful  elm bow. 68 inches long 40 lbs. at 26 inch draw. I plugged a half dozen knots on the belly. The back was good. Lots of character on the bottom limb.  It has a little over an inch of reflex. It has taken me 5 weeks  to get these bows finished so far from green to finish with one failure. Lots of hours of work, and plenty of time spent belly heat treating. I am force drying number 5 right now. Moisture content is 17% at the moment. I will probably get into tillering this one some time next week. It bare shaft tunes OK now, but I had to cut the arrow shelf in deeper than I had it.