Author Topic: rawhide on the sides  (Read 437 times)

Offline bluejack

rawhide on the sides
« on: August 10, 2024, 12:22:38 pm »
I built a 62" yew ( all heartwood) with 1 layer of sinew on the back, After drying and trimming the edges, I don`t like the look of the edges. Planning on covering with rawhide. Does anyone ever run rawhide down over the sides of the limbs ? (I`ve done this with snake skins but don`t know if rawhide would cause any problems) Thanks bluejack

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: rawhide on the sides
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 09:03:22 pm »
Yup. I've done it. Wrapped over the sides and onto the belly. I then use a rasp to lightly take down the rawhide on the belly until I can finish it off by using a scraper. Looks good.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline uwe

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 09:14:24 am »
Hi,
Why not continue sinewbacking around the sides?
I have done it. You also have a better connection with the backs' sinew.
Cheere Uwe

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 01:46:54 pm »
I’ve not done this yet.  The only issue that should be considered is the extra mass it would add to the limbs.  On the belly with sinew I personally don’t see a benefit.  just adds extra weight on limbs as the sinews main function is to add tension strength not compression strength.  If applied correctly to adhere well on the back it will be quite sufficient as a great backing to a bow.  I’ve not heard of any benefit of using it as a wrap around or belly layer.   In my mind this would just add unnecessary mass.  I could be wrong and someone should test this out.  The same could be said about wrapping with rawhide too I guess.  To a lesser degree the snakeskin as it is almost nonexistent as far as mass goes.  I’ve used goat skin parchment to do complete wraps before but again it’s very thin and mainly used as a canvas to decorate and help to seal up the bow.  Even better is birch bark wraps for very lightweight wraps that also seal up the bow and help with moisture.  Just some thoughts on this.  Cheers. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bluejack

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 02:55:16 pm »
Thanks guys, I think I`ll try this with this bow. I`ll just bring the rawhide down over the sides not onto the belly. wish me luck !!