Author Topic: Sinew  (Read 280 times)

Offline Muskyman

Sinew
« on: July 04, 2024, 06:25:04 pm »
Processed some back strap sinew today. First time so I have no idea how much I need to back a bow. I stopped when I started getting blisters on one of my fingers   I ended up with 60 grams total for today. I’ve still got about 12 more pieces of sinew to go. So I’m thinking I’ll get at least another 60 grams or more. Eventually I plan on trying to back a bow with it. Not sure when that might happen but some day.
Anyone have an approximate weight for what I should need. 70 inch or so bow

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Sinew
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 12:34:33 am »
I'm still learning with sinew, but Dave was a big help when I did my first one.  I'm sure he will come along with advice.

I will say, I'd recommend saving that back sinew for strings and get some leg sinew for the bow.  Those nice long fibers are what you want for the string.  That is if you're wanting to make sinew strings.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 12:38:44 am »
I would do two layers totaling 30-35grams dry weight for each limb.  Maybe a touch more to overlap a little at the handle fades. So basically 15-20 grams for each layer Let each layer dry about a week or two before moving to next layer.  You could cover later with rawhide or goat parchment skin or snakeskin. You can do more then this and still have a functional bow but it starts getting close to that line of more mass added then it’s worth.   Get the fibers as fine as you can when dry processing.  I do not pound my sinew with metal hammers. It can damage it.  I use wood mallet on a stump for leg tendons.  For back strap I twist by hand then pull through a metal dog comb or a board with finish nails pounded through as a pull through.  This works to get your fine fibers.  Then separate the short medium and long fibers into piles and see what ya got.  Once all weighted and separated into bundles wash it thouroughly with dawn dish soap rinse very well.  I comb mine after washing too on a board to get the fibers hairs all running parallel with each other.  You don’t want and criss crossed fibers.  I lay my bundles down as flattened wet bundle strips of glue dampened sinew.  This gives me the best results.  Anyway lots to cover here but give a holler when you get started. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 03:06:49 am »
No strings for me Arron. I can barely make a fast flight string. I would like to get some leg sinew though.

I’ll take you up on that when the time comes Dave, thanks for the offer.
I’ve got some rawhide backing. It weighs about 6-7 grams for 2 pieces 36x2  I’ve looked for the kangaroo stuff on weylins site but it said he was out and couldn’t find anything online. Like to try some but have to find it first.
My next question is where I can get some hide glue. I know you make yours but I’m not gonna be doing that.I’ve looked at it online but was wondering where other people have bought theirs. I want to say what I looked at it that was used for making musical instruments and wasn’t 100 percent sure that’s what I need.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2024, 11:23:06 am »
Knox glue is recommended by many, and I concur.
Sinew is messy. However, dive in.

Placing something under the tips and anchoring the center allows the sinew to dry while pulling some backset into the bow.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2024, 05:00:35 pm »
No strings for me Arron. I can barely make a fast flight string. I would like to get some leg sinew though.

I’ll take you up on that when the time comes Dave, thanks for the offer.
I’ve got some rawhide backing. It weighs about 6-7 grams for 2 pieces 36x2  I’ve looked for the kangaroo stuff on weylins site but it said he was out and couldn’t find anything online. Like to try some but have to find it first.
My next question is where I can get some hide glue. I know you make yours but I’m not gonna be doing that.I’ve looked at it online but was wondering where other people have bought theirs. I want to say what I looked at it that was used for making musical instruments and wasn’t 100 percent sure that’s what I need.

Ya the roo raw hide is nice stuff.  Tough and thin.  I find deer hide very similar.  With deer raw hide you can thin down fleshy side to desired thinness using a drum sander. Just don’t sand the slipped hair side.  It will be the smoother side.  Use this as you outward surface when on the bow.  If looking for decent hide glue 3 rivers stuff is pretty good.  The stuff I make is little better but if looking for something that will work then 3 rivers.  I can send you a little too. Just send me a dm and we can sort it out.  I really need to do a short video on my set up for sinew.  There are some good videos out there in YouTube land too. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com