Author Topic: Yew long bow - knots issue  (Read 248 times)

Offline freke

Yew long bow - knots issue
« on: June 26, 2024, 06:28:24 pm »
Hi,
Started a new yew longbow build, it comes from a short log that I split and spliced. Target is ELB style, 70-74" +#50@28",  with of bow stave is now 35-40mm now and wider at the knots, thickness is about 35 mm.

The issue is that both limb has knots relatively close to the ends that I do not know how they looks inside the stave (yet), and I feel not that experienced with yew and I have come out underweight before when I dodge knots.

I have add a couple of pictures one from each side, the pen marks shows roughly 30 mm, they are roughly located 7-8" from each end.

If anyone could tell how I best approach this, gut feeling says take down the thickness but in what step should Ii go and what should II look for and what to avoid?

Thanks,
Jonas

Online superdav95

Re: Yew long bow - knots issue
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 12:17:07 am »
i would work around the knots a bit to clean up and see what you got before doing the splice.  if most of the edge knots get removed during narowing up and still look workable then i would continue.  best of luck that is some knarly looking yew there. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 12:27:22 am »
For a 50lber in yew, I wouldn't go more than 28mm wide, unless its really light thick ringed yew, then 32mm for an ELB( I have made 55-60lbers from 1" wide fine ringed yew).

Rough the stave down to 35-40mm like you have marked out, that should still give you plenty of meat to reassess the knots, and how they run. Then rework down to 28-32mm wide depending upon the quality of the stave,
My personal approach with any knots regardless of the species, is to leave extra wood around the width at that point., and the depth too when roughing out.

Now many people just shave it off flat down to the layout line, right through the knot and still get good shooting bows. Then they fill any hole with a dutch plug. Some people do the same thing but end up with firewood. Regardless yew seems to tolerate a little more grain violation, and pins than most other bow woods, but push it too far and it still breaks.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 12:43:31 am »
I downloaded and enlarged your photos; ring count looks fairly low so I would go with 32mm or so wide. For the knots near the tips I would shave them off square, as these are going to get tapered in width a lot by the time you get to floor tillering.

Offline freke

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 02:53:49 am »
Superdave, the bow s already spliced.

Hamish, Its indeed fast grown yew ( I build upon what I found ), I will aim for 32 mm then at start.

I have work knots before but this looks more difficult than usual as they are on opposed sided ( and I feel uncomfortable with yew, judging how thick wood I need ) and I need to go around or enlarge, good thing is that they are closer to the tips so it can be in the more narrow stiff area

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 08:57:29 am »
Yeah, as people have already advised, just leave a little extra width. At 8" from the tips You'll only be about 20mm wide (and a bit thinner) anyway, and the knots may have disappeared.
Just proceed slowly. A clean back is the important thing, you can always plug or patch the belly .
The knots presumably come out from the centre of the branch, so may well disappear off the belly (see sketch)
I think you'll be ok.
Del
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 09:47:41 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.