Author Topic: First try at inlaying on a bow  (Read 463 times)

Online Muskyman

First try at inlaying on a bow
« on: June 22, 2024, 07:19:23 pm »
I’ve been thinking about inlaying an arrow pass on a bow so I figured I better practice before I actually try it on the bow I care about. My first attempt was not to good but I learned a little bit about how and where I can cut. Here’s my second attempt. Still not what I’m looking for but much better. I used a razor knife and a wood chisel then went and got my dremel tool to try and flatten it out on the bottom of the cut. I’ve got some practicing to do yet before I give it a go.

Offline ajooter

Re: First try at inlaying on a bow
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 09:00:36 pm »
I always like the look of the abalone shell for inlays.  I have not tried it yet myself.   I was thinking that a beveled edge might be easier to blend into the wood when reducing it down.  What are you using for material?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 09:39:07 pm »
Like Ajooter mentions a slight inner bevel on the edge of the inlay makes it easier to get a cleaner fit.

I would also use a really fine pen to outline the inlay, on the wood, then work to the inside of the line rather than removing it. A knife line is always going to be just outside the size of the inlay, leads to a sloppier fit.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 10:49:21 pm »
Cool!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Online Muskyman

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 11:28:15 pm »
I was thinking on my next attempt I’d go on the inside of the line. Also thought if my piece is a fuzz big I might try fitting it to the hole. I thought I might have more control with my piece than trying to make the hole fit it.
The material I’m using is whitetail antler. I thought about abalone or mother of pearl but I really didn’t care for what I was seeing online.
I probably should get some better chisels, it might help, I don’t know.
I actually have it beveled on the underside a touch but might see if I can get it beveled a touch more.  I’m not 100 percent going to do it, it’s on my trade bow and I don’t want to jack it up. It’s Osage and I don’t think it really needs it. I just thought it might be a nice touch. I might keep practicing and try it on a bow for myself.
Thanks for the input.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 10:59:24 am »
I have inletted a lot of stuff on flintlocks. While you are making the cuts for the inlay cutting some of the wood around the cut is getting compressed by your knife or chisel. If you have a small gap, you can clamp the inlay in place and wet the wood around and then dry the wood with a heat gun or steam iron. This will swell the compressed wood and close the gap. If you use a steam iron put a dap washcloth over the gap you want to close up first and iron on that washcloth.

Online Muskyman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 11:09:39 am »
Thanks Eric  I would never thought of that. Makes sense to me.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 03:18:22 pm »
This video shows how I do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i8tv8EknVw
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Online Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2024, 06:28:29 pm »
Thanks Del, that helps. I  like how you left the base uncut. I’ve actually been having a little trouble getting that right. I've been practicing agin today. Got one that fit better one and that wasn’t to great.. practicing on hickory but probably going to try some on some scrap Osage to see how it is going to be to work with.

Online Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2024, 10:37:03 pm »
Still practicing. Getting better but not quite there yet

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2024, 12:00:33 am »
looks good mike!
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2024, 12:09:14 am »
+1. Looks plenty good.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2024, 10:06:43 am »
That is really good, don't expect perfection, when you sand the inlay to match the wood, the sawdust and finish you put on over your inlay it will fill any of the tiny gaps you have.

Here is one I did; it wasn't perfect but looks good on the finished bow which was a gift to a nice lady after her husband bid $500 and won a copperhead backed bow I donated to a fund raiser for a children's hospital. This is a name plate, not a strikeplate at the arrow pass.

The other one is a strikeplate I inletted, it was far from perfect but the finish made it look OK. Both of these are made of osage burl wood that was very old and dark all the way through.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 10:12:01 am by Eric Krewson »

Online Muskyman

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2024, 10:54:42 am »
Thanks guys. I might do a few more practice tries before I actually try to put it into the bow I’m working on. I’m thinking about trying it on some Osage scraps next. That’s what the bow is made of. I’ve been practicing on hickory and thought I should try it on what I’m going to be working with.
Also have a yew bow that I never really finished that I was thinking about working on again and maybe putting one on it.
As always, appreciate the help and feedback.

Online Muskyman

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2024, 03:22:55 pm »
Did a practice try on a Osage bow I had laying around.
I think it turned out pretty good