Author Topic: bow string material choice  (Read 424 times)

Offline bassman211

bow string material choice
« on: June 14, 2024, 11:58:54 pm »
For the last couple months I have been reducing the weight on many of my self, and backed bows , so that I can continue shooting them. In the 35 lb range, and for target shooting at my club only. Not hunting. I have one arrow combo that I like to shoot from all of these bows. Most , but not all of the bows are strung with 8, or  10 strands of B55. The bows that are strung with low stretch BCYX, 652, and D97 will bare shaft tune nicely with my arrow. Saves on me buying different spine arrows. Not so with B55 material. Just thought it might help some of you out that are in the same situation as me. Good building, and shooting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bow string material choice
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 03:02:06 pm »
All I've ever used is B50, B55.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Muskyman

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 04:25:49 pm »
Not to high jack this post but.
I've got a spool of B 50 I bought probably 40 or more years ago. It seems to be okay still. I’ve used it since I started making bows and it hasn’t broken any strings. So I guess it’s still okay. Does it even have a shelf life?

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2024, 04:35:27 pm »
Pat B you are missing out on some real performance.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2024, 10:31:12 am »
The arrows always go where I want them to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2024, 11:36:53 pm »
I under stand that Pat, but if you are shooting lower poundage bows with arrows that you like ,and  your bow won't bare shaft tune properly low stretch string can be , and usually is the answer. In stead of having to buy a weaker spine arrow to shoot with the bow the string compensates, and will suffice. I have proven this to myself with many different low poundage self bows, backed bows, and even some vintage glass bows. For  target shooting  I buy top of the line carbon arrows that are not cheap. When I hunted I used my own wooden arrows, with hand made steel ,and stone points. I am not suggesting that you do the same with your string choice, but I will say that  low stretch string will enhance the bow's performance up to 10 fps. Allowing you to shoot a heavier spined arrow which for me saves money on arrow expense. :)