Author Topic: Bamboo backed Osage R/D help  (Read 388 times)

Offline afurman25

Bamboo backed Osage R/D help
« on: June 11, 2024, 02:13:57 pm »
Hello all,

I’ve got a bamboo backed Osage reflex deflex bow that I made. I’m having a problem with separation happening at one of the fades. I can see a hairline of light through it. It’s about two inches wide. The adhesion failed. Probably due to a mistake I made somehow during glue up. My question is: is this reparable for a working bow? I used ea-40 epoxy. How would you fix this? This problem wasn’t immediate. I’ve put a few hundred arrows through this bow before this ideveloped.

Offline simk

Re: Bamboo backed Osage R/D help
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 05:06:40 pm »
there is literally no fade and a super short powerlam. cant work. the bend must be stopped slowly towards the grip.
on the next one: make the powerlam 4" longer each side and try to get a long transition to zero. also make the fades 2" longer each limb and you wont suffer again. A long combined taper of powerlam and fades will do the trick. You can try to fill that with thin superglue or epoxy. But that wil not solve the problem. What separates once will do twice.
cheers
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 05:11:18 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2024, 07:25:48 pm »
Well put Smik!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline afurman25

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2024, 08:23:57 pm »
Ah I see. Thank you for the info and the image helps as well. I was going off the design I saw on meadowlark bows. I’ll try your suggestions on the next one. It makes a lot of sense.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 09:30:09 pm »
Ah I see. Thank you for the info and the image helps as well. I was going off the design I saw on meadowlark bows. I’ll try your suggestions on the next one. It makes a lot of sense.

Yes no doubt he would have had similar failures.  Simon is bang on here.  Good info. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com