Main Discussion Area > Bows

Ink for Bow Specs

<< < (2/2)

Eric Krewson:
I use white archival ink and letter with an extra fine nib calligraphy pen, the ink is acrylic so if you goof up you can wipe it off with a wet paper towel and start over. The ink is a little hard to get to flow so I start on a piece of cardboard, when the pen is working right, I letter my bow.
I put a couple coats of Tru-oil over the lettering to lock it in place.

White stands out more as the wood darkens. I have already applied the finish to the rest of the bow before I do the lettering.

wooddamon1:
I use white paint pens over Tru-Oil then spray matte over the entire bow. Sharpie makes a good one.

SamH:

--- Quote from: Eric Krewson on June 02, 2024, 09:40:04 am ---I use white archival ink and letter with an extra fine nib calligraphy pen, the ink is acrylic so if you goof up you can wipe it off with a wet paper towel and start over. The ink is a little hard to get to flow so I start on a piece of cardboard, when the pen is working right, I letter my bow.
I put a couple coats of Tru-oil over the lettering to lock it in place.

White stands out more as the wood darkens. I have already applied the finish to the rest of the bow before I do the lettering.

--- End quote ---

Where do you get your ink?  All I’ve been able to find online are ink pads. Thanks! -Sam

Eric Krewson:
Hobby Lobby, they have a lot of calligraphy supplies.

This is what I use;

Hamish:
I rarely ink my bows these days, as I use shellac for my preferred finish, which is not really compatible with acrylic, or alcohol based inks. Another option is using metal stamps to mark spec's.

This used to be the preferred method for manufactured wooden bows. It obviously doesn't work for bows with fibreglass on the limbs, I believe that increased the popularity with inking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version