Author Topic: Turbo! Longbow  (Read 1133 times)

Offline simk

Re: Turbo! Longbow
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2024, 04:23:49 am »
thanks guys!
Arvin: The first one I made one with a full horn belly and conventional tiller. It shot horrible - ugly handshock.
These now shoot close to perfect. The trad-recurve boys and girls at the club just take their own carbon arrows and shoot as if it were their usual bow. they say its almost no diffference to their bows. Handshock is not noticable until 8gpp and 8gpp is he recommended arrowweight for best fun. You have some at 7gpp but its still great fun. With wood you cannot put that reflex in there - it woiuld always pull out. If I would shift the reflex towards the outers it would be hard to tiller the bow into the classic longbow shape. bowmaking became a childs play for me now. when wood is collapsing under the strain horn not even has a tired smile on the face. I'm extremly happy with how everything works. Once I find the time the next experiment will be making one of these with little recurves.
cheers   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 08:47:29 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2024, 05:32:14 am »
mighty fine bows
I know nothing about bow business but they look winners
Great attention to details. Very well done !

Offline Zugul

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2024, 08:52:44 am »
absolutely stunning work right there!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2024, 12:18:03 pm »
Simon, those are simply spectacular bows. What is the back profile and how wide are they?

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2024, 03:36:44 pm »
Simon do you think gemsbok horn would be comparable. I built this boo backed boo core gemsbok horn belly bow .it took some set.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2024, 03:39:45 pm »
This bow broke a broadhead record in the ladies 50# class. Can’t remember the distance. Probably around 230 yds.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline simk

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2024, 05:23:10 pm »
Mark, the profile starts paralell basically, then pyramid. But its all blurred and rounded some by handtools. I make these 32-34mm wide.

Arvin, I have not worked gemsbock. People say it is a little less dense than buffalo horn but basically similar properties. Very strange for your bow to take set! I could imagine if the Horn is very very thin, the wood beyond getting out of shape and taking set. But that is really strange. Maybe its not enough horn so the wooden aspects overrules the little horn. But they say 1mm of horn over maple is enough to make a 50# hornbow! I cannot help really. 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2024, 10:51:48 pm »
Simon. I think it’s wonderful stuff Buffalo horn when used on belly of bows.  I’ve messed around with various glues, natural and non natural including 2 part epoxy’s.   So far I’ve noticed best adhesion with sinew or fish glues on a bow bellied with horn and backed also with sinew. this combination is very well established.  I love the way you have incorporated the horn lam on a more modern type bow build.  Very cool.  I think I will have to put this one one my list of bow builds in future.  I love the idea of the boo backed buff horn combo.  Appears to be a winning combination.  Thanks for posting.  I
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 11:51:41 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2024, 11:11:35 pm »
Nice clean work.