Main Discussion Area > Bows

2024 Bow Trade - build in progress

<< < (2/27) > >>

superdav95:
I measure from the back of the bow to the string at full draw.  What I do is take an old arrow and mark it with increments of 1/2” out to 30”.  Then draw to your full draw length and either have someone take note of the marking it touches the back of the bow and that’s your draw or have a piece of masking tape ready to place on the arrow at the back of bow.  I find this works well if by myself to determine the draw of a specific bow build and calculate draw weight at a specific draw length.  Good grip position, solid Anchor point, back tension and good form all being considered of course.  Once all that is figured on a proper draw length for traditional bow can be measured.  There are many schools of thought on snap shooting and short draws out there too when we talk about primitive bows, With or without arrow shelves.  So many factors come into play on the various type of bows as well that determine how they are drawn back and shot that have a bearing of draw length.  When I was practicing my short draw a little while ago I tend to draw that bow more horizontal orientation.  Obviously this type of draw will be shorter but one can be fairly accurate with it.  Anyway for me the back of the bow to the drawn string where the arrow nocks.  Measurements from the inside of the nock of arrow to the back of bow more specifically. 

SamH:
I'm in.
RH
45-65
28"

Pappy:
I measure from the back of the bow to the string also, the back never changes the inner part of the grip dose.  ;)
 Pappy

Juan Ant. Espinosa:
Pappy, the body is the one that doesn´t change (a little with the years)... the back of the bow changes in distance to the string when the same body open a bow with a more or less deeper handle.
So, if you are pulling from the string to your palm say 26", if the handle is 1 inch deep, your draw lenght would be 27". But if the handle is 2 inches deep, your draw length would be 28"... measuring from the string till the back of bow.

If the method is this one, is necessary to specify what kind of handle every one have used to find its own draw lenght. Otherwise makers and users could be talking about different things.

Kidder:
Ok…we’re waiting on Pierce S to sign up as well as swampman - you guys said you were interested and vanished!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version