Author Topic: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)  (Read 23851 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Can You See The Lakota Bow In This Stave??? ( NEW PICTURES)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 11:33:02 pm »
Well Cowboy....I haven't had too much time to work on this lately...and next week I go back on a Shutdown...so I will be working 12-14 hour Night Shifts...so I don't see too much happening then either....I have it tillered to 14 inches right now....I don't believe I can do more than 18 inches on it.....without blowing Her up....I will post pictures of it at Draw soon....what do you more educated Bowyers think I should shoot for ...for Draw length on a 48 inch bow like this??? Am I asking too much for 18 inches....or is 20 possible??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 08:54:49 am »
hmm just guessin but with a bendy handle I don't see why you can't get at least 20" out of it
and I would think with sinew backing even more.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2008, 09:50:59 am »
i seem to remember tim baker getting 28 inches out of a 48 inch hickory recurve in TBB1...and 50# of draw!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2008, 11:14:50 am »
Ooooh, I hate shut-downs :-X. Only did that once :D...With my limited knowledge I'd say - several courses of sinew :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »
You think??? I would hate to eat this Little Monster...She is one tough piece of Hedge Wood!!! Don't think they make a Barbecue Sauce for Horse Apple ....do they!!!  >:D I am planning on at least three layers of Sinew...two Leg...one Back to make it smooth....and then a bunch of hafting to keep the Sinew for separating in all of the Bends! Just like this one I did in the attached picture....

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 12:45:46 pm »
Ive got unbacked osage and elm bows 50" long with ridged handles that I regularly draw to 26.5" with absouloutley no problem. In fact they both still hold unstrung reflex. If you put sinew on that little sucker I wouldnt be scared to take her back to around 26" You just need to see how your string angle is going to be, you dont want to pull it past 90 degrees at full draw. In another words the bow should tell you how far its willing to go.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2008, 01:26:02 pm »
Ive got unbacked osage and elm bows 50" long with ridged handles that I regularly draw to 26.5" with absouloutley no problem. In fact they both still hold unstrung reflex. If you put sinew on that little sucker I wouldnt be scared to take her back to around 26" You just need to see how your string angle is going to be, you dont want to pull it past 90 degrees at full draw. In another words the bow should tell you how far its willing to go.
Thanks Ryan....I will post Pictures of the Tiller as I go..so maybe I can get some responce on when to Stop@!!!! I was hoping for 24-26....but I figured that was a Pipe Dream!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

radius

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 02:00:42 am »
keep it coming, man!  what are you sleeping all the time?????

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 01:43:01 pm »
Very cool bow brother, keep the pics coming. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston