Author Topic: backing /nock overlay????  (Read 3750 times)

Offline lowell

backing /nock overlay????
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:00:31 pm »
I'm working on a red oak board bow with 8 other guys that I'm trying to show how to build bows. 

This is a kids bow that will be around 20#@ 20". I already have it backed tip to tip with deer rawhide.  I would like to try antler nock overlays on it.  Have never tried overlays and wondered if I should take the rawhide off where the overlay will go or leave the rawhide and glue antler over the rawhide?? ???

Thanks for any help!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

radius

Re: backing /nock overlay????
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:09:11 pm »
dude, you shoot a stick with a stick!

what kind of adhesive you using?  If it were me, i'd use epoxy and just go right overtop of the rawhide, if the rawhide is good and flat...if you cut it, you'll have a hell of a time making it all perfectly matched up, and you'll probably have to bind the ends of the rawhide for 2 reasons:  keep it down, and hide the unsightly end of it.  It you have epoxy, you'll be fine.

What!  8 guys and none of them knows what to do?  El Destructo, what do we do about these guys?  lol

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:09:44 pm »
i would take the rawhide off where the overlay will be. the rawhide will be a weak point and probably tear the overlay off. - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:38:10 pm »

What!  8 guys and none of them knows what to do?  El Destructo, what do we do about these guys?  lol

The 8 guys are friends from the bow club that asked me to teach them all I know about bow making.  Never told them I knew everything there was to know.  Just telling them everything I know!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

radius

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:11 am »
lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:22:11 pm »
Lowell, You should have no problem putting the overlays over the rawhide...especially with a 20# bow! ;)   I have done this with TB glues, super glue(gel preferred but liquid works also) and epoxy.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:49:25 pm »
ha! guess i missed the first part about it being a 20# kids bow...oops, so i change my answer to the others, it should be fine.   but i still wouldnt do it on a heavy bow, but thats just me i guess- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:08:01 pm »
I always grind down the rawhide. But with a 20 lbs bow, you should be alright just gluing them on.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 09:39:20 pm »
  Yea, like everybody said, you are alright with a kid's bow. But if it was heavier I'd take it off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?