Author Topic: Hickory dogbane shorty  (Read 4831 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Hickory dogbane shorty
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2024, 07:05:51 pm »
Totally understand this frustration.  This is the principle of the thing now.  You’ll get it sorted out.

Thanks, Dave, that commiseration makes it easier to keep trying.  ha ha   ;D

Got the old backing steamed off, sized the back, and started again.  A few things I'm doing differently:  I'm soaking the fibers in warm water before applying to make them more cooperative.  Using smaller bundles or individual fibers, instead of big, wide bundles, and overlapping the ends more to avoid weak places.  Running each fiber bundle through a fine-tooth comb to remove broken and twisted fibers, and straighten the ones that remain.  And using more glue.  Lots and lots of glue.  Finally, covered the first layer in plastic film and very tightly wrapped with an ace bandage for a few hours until the glue sets up, just to really get it to adhere to the wood.

If this doen't work?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2024, 12:28:44 am »
Haha that’s too funny.  If you do decide to blow it up please do us all a favour and film it.  That would be too funny.  Well tragedy kind of funny.  You know what I mean.  Not trying to be offensive…. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2024, 12:01:07 pm »
Haha that’s too funny.  If you do decide to blow it up please do us all a favour and film it.  That would be too funny.  Well tragedy kind of funny.  You know what I mean.  Not trying to be offensive….

;D ;D ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2024, 06:31:04 pm »

;D ;D ;D

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2024, 01:25:27 pm »
good luck with the reapplication,  a few pics as you go would be nice........
if worst comes to worst you could always offer it to the bow gods lest something like this comes to your neighborhood