Main Discussion Area > Bows

Yew school

(1/6) > >>

Doug509:
I'm working on a stash of Yew that I got a permit to harvest two years ago.   I am very much a novice and thought I would share my experience and hope I can learn from the experts here. Let's start by trying to post a few pics of the harvest.

Doug509:
I field split the tree with wedges to follow the wood grain a ended up with some wonky staves and a few that I will save for graduation from Yew School. All the staves were sealed on the ends and dried in about 9 months based on weight loss.

Doug509:
I estimate this tree was a sapling when the Mayflower landed.   It has about 40 rings per inch.   I choose the stave fourth from the right for this project.   It's dipped, bumpy, twisted and bent.  Perfect for learning.  Here is the stave laid out with the bow following the grain

JW_Halverson:
Wow! Nice stash, brother! 

Always start with the worst piece you have so you don't feel so bad if things go wrong, and you'll feel like the Big Boss if you get a shooter!

Hamish:
Are you already proficient in building selfbows? If not, I would do any learning of tillering skills with board bows, or white woods. Like you said this is an ancient tree with premium wood and it deserves the absolute best you can do with it.
If you are proficient then what type of yew bows do you want to build?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version