Author Topic: Wild Plum Self bow  (Read 3369 times)

Offline pierce_schmeichel

Wild Plum Self bow
« on: February 04, 2024, 11:15:39 am »
Hey guys I finished up this wild plum selfbow a little while ago. The problem is that I want to make it shoot faster. It's pretty good for its size and poundage, 45"ntn 40lbs at 21" and shoots a 650 Grain arrow 100fps. So I was wondering which route you guys think I should go with making it faster. Should I sinew back it? Cable back it? Just shorten it and keep it a selfbow? I just don't know I can't decide

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wild Plum Self bow
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 11:31:58 am »
Nice little bow with a nice tiller. You could add sinew to the back and kick the tips up a bit. Both could add a little more speed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 01:53:22 pm »
Nice little bow with a nice tiller. You could add sinew to the back and kick the tips up a bit. Both could add a little more speed.

Agree.   Plus 1 here
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 04:38:11 pm »
Yeah I think I'm going to sinew back it and give it a bend in the handle and make it a sort of gullwing.

I did shorten it a little though and I gave it a couple more heat treatments. I also thinned the tips and it went up a little to 115fps.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 11:08:31 pm »
Nice bow. I hope you didn't eat any of those plums though, they will make you go wild. Likewise don't feed any birds, wild bird mix. ;)

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 12:44:45 am »
Nice bow. I hope you didn't eat any of those plums though, they will make you go wild. Likewise don't feed any birds, wild bird mix. ;)

Haha actually I did eat some!! My wife and I made some delicious wild plum jam. The inner pulp part is totally edible. It's just the pits and skins that really make you sick

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 01:05:11 am »
A 650 grain arrow out of that short 40# bow will rob a lot of speed also.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 09:40:46 am »
I agree, a 65-gr arrow is way too much for that little bow to have much speed, shoot one that is 450gr and you will see the speed you want.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 09:52:19 am »
You see I totally would use a lighter arrow but the only good arrow shaft materials here in ND are choke cherry and dogwood. Which are pretty heavy and I have yet to make one that light.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 08:53:32 pm »
Okay so I finished sinew backing it and it's mostly dry but I'm gonna give it at least another weak before stringing it up and testing it.

Anyway I also noticed these little cracks that appeared on the belly. They formed when I braced the bow a little too far back when I was heat treating. They haven't really seemed to affect the tiller at all but I was thinking maybe I should put a horn belly on it before it becomes a real problem. I have been wanting to make a bison horn belly bow for a while Anyway. I don't know though. What do you guys think? Should I do it? Or leave it

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 08:55:08 pm »
Forgot to add photos haha

Offline superdav95

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2024, 10:36:38 pm »
Those are some unfortunate cracks.  If it were me I would consider a belly lam or horn if you got some.  You will need to groove down past the cracks to be safe I would say.  How many grams of sinew do you figure you put down?   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2024, 10:41:59 pm »
I am not sure how many grams I put down but it was 2 layers. Not huge layers but decent. And yes I have some bison horn!

Also would it be a good idea to just shave until those cracks are gone and then add another layer or 2 of sinew instead of belly lam?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 11:19:54 pm »
You see I totally would use a lighter arrow but the only good arrow shaft materials here in ND are choke cherry and dogwood. Which are pretty heavy and I have yet to make one that light.

What part of NoDak are you in?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 11:21:44 pm »

What part of NoDak are you in?

Bismarck!