Author Topic: Yew billets belly drop build with sinew backing.  (Read 13285 times)

Offline Muskyman

Re: Yew billets belly drop build with sinew backing.
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2024, 07:01:26 pm »
I thought about that but didn’t know if you could sand it after trapping it and get a decent finish. I really know nothing about working with sinew. I’m sure you’ll figure it out though. Both are looking great so far.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2024, 08:20:23 pm »
I thought about that but didn’t know if you could sand it after trapping it and get a decent finish. I really know nothing about working with sinew. I’m sure you’ll figure it out though. Both are looking great so far.

Thanks mike.  I’ll likley just add a little more sinew over these areas of concern and then rawhide back the whole lot for protection or even snakeskins possibly. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2024, 09:29:01 pm »
So a quick update on these bows.  I decided to just add some deer rawhide from my
buck hide this last season to the entire back of both.  I am confident this should work just fine and set my mind at ease as well.  I apply them with tb3 and then wrap them snug not tight with an old t shirt cut in to 1.5-2” wide strip.  I wrap it up like a mummy and then let it dry overnight.  I apply a pretty liberal amount of glue and pre stretched the rawhide after soaking them in warm water for about 30 mins.  I wash the fleshy side with soap and warm water too then rinse well.  I get them towel dabbed dry but thoroughly  pliable and soft.  Don’t want them too wet but not starting to dry up either.  The wrap works well.  And dose t leave too much of a pattern if kept medium tension when wrapping.  Then I file the edges with a medium file at an slight angle downward from the top edge so as to not rip up my hide edge and glue line.  Here’s some pics. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2024, 10:24:43 pm »
Your bows always look great. You do seem to have a knack for making them. Both look great.
Great use of that buckskin too.👍

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2024, 11:16:23 pm »
I have been following and yet keeping my big opinionated mouth firmly shut. I have strong opinions on which will ultimately give the best performance, but that is MY opinion.

But I got to the point where I wanted to thank you for taking on this project and for your commitment to transparency. This is a really valuable experiment and you deserve a round of applause for taking the time and materials to do it!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2024, 12:23:21 am »
Your bows always look great. You do seem to have a knack for making them. Both look great.
Great use of that buckskin too.👍

Thanks Mike.  Ya it’s cool to use your own stuff when you can.  It is a slow project due to the drying times of the sinew.  Hopefully soon start bending again and finish tillering to get them as close to 50-55lbs

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2024, 12:27:06 am »
I have been following and yet keeping my big opinionated mouth firmly shut. I have strong opinions on which will ultimately give the best performance, but that is MY opinion.

But I got to the point where I wanted to thank you for taking on this project and for your commitment to transparency. This is a really valuable experiment and you deserve a round of applause for taking the time and materials to do it!

Thanks JW. I appreciate that.  Ya I have some suspicions on how it will go too but my hope in the end is to learn something new and test out some things anyway.

Thanks for following along 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2024, 10:24:11 am »
Dave I’m clapping. How much total mass did the backing add to the bow. Just curious?
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2024, 10:18:37 pm »
Dave I’m clapping. How much total mass did the backing add to the bow. Just curious?

The hide backing added about 15-20grams.  The sinew itself was about 65-70grams plus another 10grams or so for the glue and size coatings.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2024, 10:37:26 pm »
I shaped up my tips a bit more today and removed the braced back string whilst drying.  Both maintained about 4.5” maybe little less.  I suspect I’ll loose some of this as I continue to tiller them in next few days.  Will definitely have to remove some belly wood these feel really heavy.  They are around 60-61”ntn.  I’m not cutting an arrow shelf in these.  I may glue on a sliver of something later for a minimal shelf with little bit of horn.  I’m thinking I may use some cane strip wrap for handles on these.  Would be a cool look.  I got some of this from pat here.   Thanks for following along

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2024, 01:14:49 pm »
I haven't had anything to say, just sitting back and watching a top notch craftsman at work. I agree with Muskyman, your bows always look great. Beautiful aesthetics and superb workmanship.

Mark

Offline superdav95

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2024, 10:18:43 pm »
I haven't had anything to say, just sitting back and watching a top notch craftsman at work. I agree with Muskyman, your bows always look great. Beautiful aesthetics and superb workmanship.

Mark

Much appreciated mark!   Thanks for following along.  Hopefully they will bow and not explode. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Gordon

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2024, 11:01:12 pm »
Those are coming along nicely.
Gordon

Offline superdav95

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2024, 09:39:57 am »
Those are coming along nicely.

Thanks Gordon. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2024, 09:38:45 am »
Man they are looking very good, I love raw hide backing,especially when using my own from one I killed, don't do it much anymore but love the look and protection it gives, I don't do much competition but it dose take it out of the self bow class so I shy away from it unless I feel it's really necessary . :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good