Author Topic: Heat bending osage  (Read 1275 times)

Offline osageknot316

Heat bending osage
« on: February 17, 2024, 11:54:29 pm »
Greetings all, I have just built a form for heat treating reflex into my osage bow. I seem to cause belly cracks on the belly (that go against the grain) whenever I try heat bending reflex in the handle area in my osage bows. I coat it with wild boar lard prior to heat gunning it. I should mention that I heat treat the belly in the floor tiller stage. Is there a way to prevent this on my next bow? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Heat bending osage
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 12:02:55 am »
You may be heating too fast and trying to bend before the wood is ready. When I heat a handle to make corrections, I spend a good 15 minutes slowly getting it up to temperature with the heat gun before I put any strain on the wood.

You may also want to look into steaming.  I recently picked up a $5 garment steamer at a second hand store. It was pretty gunked up with mineral deposits, but 25 cents worth of cheap dollar store vinegar solved that issue. I have found that you can get osage wood moving pretty easily with steam.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 12:47:13 am »
You may be heating too fast and trying to bend before the wood is ready. When I heat a handle to make corrections, I spend a good 15 minutes slowly getting it up to temperature with the heat gun before I put any strain on the wood.

You may also want to look into steaming.  I recently picked up a $5 garment steamer at a second hand store. It was pretty gunked up with mineral deposits, but 25 cents worth of cheap dollar store vinegar solved that issue. I have found that you can get osage wood moving pretty easily with steam.

Yes JW.   I was just going to suggest steam as well. I use a wallpaper steamer and I too have found it work particularly  well for Osage on thicker portions for corrections. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 01:43:59 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 12:19:32 pm »
I’m not a patient person and I’ve not had much luck with a heat gun. Had probably the same results as osageknot but, I’ve done much better with steam. Usually one limb into my aluminum downspout with one end taped off and a rag into the other. If doing the handle put a rag in each end and get my steamer going and steam about an hour. I can wait on that where I end up going to fast with my heat gun and end up with a bad result. I usually have a good plan as far as where I want to bend and how much figured out before I start steaming. Clamps, shims and anything else I will need ready to go. Once you take it out of the downspout or whatever you use to steam it you need to get on with the clamping/bending etc. you’ve got time but just need to move fairly quick.
Good luck with the next one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 01:33:02 pm »
On a thicker handle area I'd use steam and give it plenty of time for the heat to penetrate completely. On limbs I use dry heat with veg oil and never had a problem. For curves like on recurve bows I used to use dry heat and oil but did have cracking there so the next recurve I make I'll use steam for it.
 I generally wait until later in the process before tempering the belly and usually as I'm correcting alignment problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 09:28:08 am »
I rarely do any tweaking or bending in the thick part of the handle area, I do most of my alignment work with the limbs if I have a problem with string alignment. Violating/grain rings and such in the none bending area isn't a problem so I try to get that part straight and how I want it in my lay out.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 01:47:53 pm »
My experience with heat bending is: Steam - bend quickly; Dry heat - bend SLOWLY while maintaining heat
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:20 am »
That's been my experience also Gordon, being careful with not getting to hot, just enough heat where it bends easy with out a lot of force.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good