Author Topic: Billet Splices  (Read 1858 times)

Offline CRCopland

Billet Splices
« on: January 17, 2024, 07:57:28 pm »
My first few billet splice efforts a few years ago were disaster. I had read about the Z splice in TBBible volume 1 and how you would 12" of gluing surface by doing so. I had also seen a few bowyers on you.tube make it look easy. I soon found it was harder than it looked. I have a small bandsaw now and my last couple of splices have been acceptable.

The trouble I have with the Z splice is not only the difficulty in getting a fine fit but also the fact that I use a vice to hold my stave while thinning limbs and removing wood. Quite often I have to put a great deal of pressure in the handle area to hold the stave in place and this puts strain on the thin wood and epoxy at the joined area. i guess if I used a shave horse I could eliminate the problem but I like using the vice.

My last splice was a simple box joint splice, as shown on page 208 of TBB1. It has only 9 1/2" glue surface but the joint is much simpler to cut and fit. The handle area is also supported better in the vice better when clamped it is being clamped down. I will drill a small whole in the join and insert an epoxied wooden dowel through the grip.

Am I at much of a disadvantage by splicing billets in this manner? The join seems to be holding very well and I have been satisfied with the results.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Billet Splices
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 08:08:50 pm »
You will have less trouble if you leave the Z-spliced handle in the rough while working the limbs down and shape the handle after.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 01:22:44 am »
You will have less trouble if you leave the Z-spliced handle in the rough while working the limbs down and shape the handle after.

Agreed.   Here’s a pic of the last one I did with yew billets. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 11:01:18 am »
Sounds like you need some vise pads to hold your stave without much pressure. You don't have to clamp the splice in the vise, you can clamp the fade area.

I use these, easy to make, easy on and off.

I highly recommend a post to support your stave while you work, this will minimize the pressure you put on a stave while it is in the vise. This is an old picture with cheap magnet vise pads, they worked poorly.

Another thing, the glued area of your splice is a lot stronger than bare wood, it is highly unlikely vise pressure will harm it.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 01:09:07 pm »
I've spliced a LOT of billets with a Z-splice and never had an issue working a spliced bow down in a vice. But I am obsessive about getting a good fit and only use high quality glue that is suitable for the purpose. My opinion is that if your splice is failing while working a bow in a vice, then it would likely also fail in use.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 03:33:11 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 05:25:03 pm »
I've spliced a LOT of billets with a Z-splice and never had an issue working a spliced bow down in a vice. But I am obsessive about getting a good fit and only use high quality glue that is suitable for the purpose. My opinion is that if your splice is failing while working a bow in a vice, then it would likely also fail in use.

+1 for me too.  Never had any fail either.  Here’s a crude template guide I use when drawing one up.  Various other methods I’m sure would work as well too.  3.5” of z splice is plenty of glue surface if done right like Gordon says. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline CRCopland

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 08:22:07 pm »
Clearly my joins were not cut or fit well enough. More practice is needed. Also I have not been able to find the best type of epoxy (EA-40?) at any hardware stores in my area.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 10:59:34 pm »
I have always used Titebond II. Never had a glue failure.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 10:19:39 am »
Clearly my joins were not cut or fit well enough. More practice is needed. Also I have not been able to find the best type of epoxy (EA-40?) at any hardware stores in my area.

I use ea 40 and it works well.  I order it online. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 10:45:32 am »
If you have a poorly fitting splice, heat up both ends with a heat gun, put them together without glue and clamp them with a 3 C clamps, the splices will conform to each other and be a much better fit when they cool off.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 03:56:08 pm »
If you have a poorly fitting splice, heat up both ends with a heat gun, put them together without glue and clamp them with a 3 C clamps, the splices will conform to each other and be a much better fit when they cool off.

Great idea!   I’m gonna do this for my next one.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 10:53:44 pm »

Great idea!   I’m gonna do this for my next one.

Boiled and clamped splices are another option.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Walski

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 01:35:34 am »
Here's how I Z-splice my billets.   I just did about 80 splices using this jig, it took 4-5 days to complete.    I had to touch up some of the cuts with a file, then glued together by press fitting, without a pin or boiling using EA 40.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 11:00:24 am »
Wow that’s a lot of yew staves you got there.  I like that jig.  That saves a lot of time.  If I were to do that many z splices I think I’d make a jig too!   Nice work.  Question.  Is this jig working with different widths of billets?  Be nice to see it in action

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 11:25:39 am »
JMO, but the angles of those splices look pretty wide to me. Seems most of the glue lines will be removed in shaping the handle...
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine