Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 25955 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2024, 12:52:56 am »
Couple more

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2024, 11:31:01 am »
Glad it made it okay and that you like it. Good luck hunting this fall. It’s got a light walnut stain on it that I made last Fall. And your name was my first attempt at scrimshaw. Could have been better but I thought it was acceptable and didn’t want to push that. Beaver string silencers are also my first and hopefully won’t fly off it. Anyway several firsts for me with this bow and hopefully my first bow to take big game. Excited to get my bow and see what my builder has sent me.

Offline paulc

« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2024, 08:26:21 pm »
So I got some time today to work on my "failed" trade bow...sanded the last 24" of both Limbs to get the outer Limbs moving more. Promptly cracked the back of the bow when I tried to string it to check movement...  :(

2 more pieces of river birch that might have a bow in them...

Might try chasing a ring on a piece of mulberry I've had in rafters for years...that seems like a really frustrating activity  ???

Paul

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2024, 04:03:10 am »
Glad to hear you haven’t given in!  Chasing rings is a chore but can be really satisfying, best rough the stave out so you have less to work through.

Offline paulc

« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2024, 07:48:50 pm »
Nah, not yet.  It seems being stubborn is good with this hobby.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2024, 08:21:35 pm »
So I got home today and chatted with my wife for a bit then went inside to give my dog a few treats. I saw a piece of corrugated drainage pipe laying on the dining room table and I thought what the heck is she doing buying that, I’ve got a bunch of it out back. Then I saw it had some shipping labels on it and immediately knew what it was, my trade bow 😀A snakey Osage bow. Gold metal winning bow from Sleek. To dark for any photos but I’ll post some this weekend.
Also in the tube was a snake skin. I’m not sure what kind of snake it came from but wouldn’t want to stumble across him in the woods. Thinking about trying to look online and see if I can figure out what it might be. Maybe a python was my first thought, don’t know
Thanks Sleek, awesome bow with a pedigree. How cool is that..
Pictures this weekend.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2024, 10:16:15 pm »
Sounds Awesome!  Can't wait to see pics

Offline sleek

« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2024, 03:05:58 pm »
So I got home today and chatted with my wife for a bit then went inside to give my dog a few treats. I saw a piece of corrugated drainage pipe laying on the dining room table and I thought what the heck is she doing buying that, I’ve got a bunch of it out back. Then I saw it had some shipping labels on it and immediately knew what it was, my trade bow 😀A snakey Osage bow. Gold metal winning bow from Sleek. To dark for any photos but I’ll post some this weekend.
Also in the tube was a snake skin. I’m not sure what kind of snake it came from but wouldn’t want to stumble across him in the woods. Thinking about trying to look online and see if I can figure out what it might be. Maybe a python was my first thought, don’t know
Thanks Sleek, awesome bow with a pedigree. How cool is that..
Pictures this weekend.

Glad it arrived. Also check your mail box, there is an envelope coming with the paperwork for the bow from the competition. As the bow was shot in womens division, I obviously didnt win the medal to send with the bow as i intended. So i sent you the registration form with the arrow distance on it. 

The bow didnt perform as well as i had hoped in contest. The problem wad getting good arrow flight. It was mostly limited by the arrows performance. In practice i borrowed an arrow that shot far enough to tie and possibly break Arvins record which would have been very exciting. Unfortunatly that arrow was not a legal arrow in primitive category as it had a plastic nock.

When i got home I let the bow sit several weeks and i think that was a mistake. The humidity here is aweful and the bow lost speed. I was shooting 204fps and after sitting home, it shot 190s a few times before slowing down to 160s. Im sure if you dry the bow out it will speed up again.

The stave was not an easy one to work. Its character fought me every step of the way. I didnt feel confident heat treating the bow anywhere near my normal heat treat. Im certain that played a roll in its being affected by humidity.

Your draw being so long, i couldnt possibly post about it here without you guessing it was for you. But I did record and document the bow build along with a few others on my facebook page SleeksSticks. There you can watch almost the entire build process.

Im certain if you get that bow dry, its performance will go back up to where i designed it. There are 2 strings on it. The white is a lenin string that was used in contest. The other is a fast flight style string made from power pro fishing line. Do not serve the natural string btw, that causes them to break.

The snake is python. I was going to put it on the bow, which is why i waited so ship so long. But, i couldnt make up my mind if i wanted to risk adding more moisture from the glue into the bow, its dry time, and changing the bow from how it was in competition to being a backed bow. Ive seen your work, and figured id let you make that decision, and sent the skin for you to use as you see fit on what ever bow you like.

Im sorry i made you wait so long to receive  it, i just couldnt decide what to do with it. I hope you enjoy it and are able to watch the videos on it, and thank you for being a good sport about the longer wait.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2024, 07:28:23 pm »
It’s all good Sleek. I wasn’t worried at all. I was wondering about the other string. I actually thought it was on there to keep its profile or something like that. Didn’t know it was an actual bowstring. Not sure if I’ll put the snakeskin on it. All though it sure looks like it should have one. Definitely snakey. I’ve never done a snakeskin before so I’ll have to watch some videos. I’ve put rawhide on before but really only once. I’ve seen a video or two of people putting them on but didn’t pay much attention. I’ll keep an eye on the mail for the other stuff and post when I get it.
Thanks again for the awesome bow. Love it.