Author Topic: Boo backed Boo and Yew bow  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Gordon

Boo backed Boo and Yew bow
« on: May 24, 2008, 03:19:08 am »
About a month ago I visited John Strunk to learn how he prepares and lays up his bamboo backed bows. I left his shop with a bamboo backed blank with a core made from vertical bamboo flooring and a belly made from spliced yew billets.  The finished bow is 64” ntn, 62# @ 27” and is 1 ¼” wide at the fades gradually tapering to tips that are ½” in width. The handle is made of yew and covered with dyed elk hide.  The design is a modified r/d. What deflex it has resulted from tillering as none was glued in. The finish is Thunderbird epoxy. It shoots hard and fast and I believe it will make a fine hunting weapon.
If you ever get an opportunity to spend some time in the shop with John you should take it as he is an amazing bowyer who freely shares his knowledge with anyone. It would have taken me years to figure out what I learned from John in one day.

The tipi and quiver in the picture belong to Dave Cheney.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:23:44 am by Gordon »
Gordon

radius

Re: Boo backed Boo and Yew bow
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:03:13 am »
another fine bow,Gordon, good job

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:52:48 am »
I like that profile and full draw much better than the usual R/D ones, much more pleasing to the eye

looks like the tips are even with the handle or just beind it, ...I'm getting to prefer bows without reflex lately ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline wytetale

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:04:06 am »
Very nice bow Gordon, really like the braced profile.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 08:11:17 am »

WOW gordon! really nice bow!
the arc looks just great!!!
beautiful!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:46 am »
Very nice work. great tiller. How do you like the thunderbird epoxy? I was going to get some but the price I got came out to like $40 per bow. That seemed like a lot for just the finish.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:18:36 am »
I agree Mani, I like this profile better than the regular r/d. The tips are just slightly behind the handle. I'm not sure I need anymore setback on this bow - it has plently of power as it is.

Jesse, Tbird is tough stuff so I like to use it on bows I will take hunting. It's a bit of a pain to apply because I mix and then spray it, though I understand it can be wiped on. It is rather expensive ($5 a bow by my calculation), but it makes a bow almost bullet proof.

Thank you all for the nice comments.
Gordon

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:32:20 am »
Great bow Gordon, Thunderbird is hard to beat, if a guy doesn't mind the extra labor. $5.00 a bow is what I figured too, not bad for a bow you put your heart and soul into.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »
@Gordon
That looks like a fine weapon. Congrats.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 12:36:15 pm »
I had the privilage to see this bow in person at the Central Oregon Gathering and it's  a real beauty. The glue lines and attention to detail on this bow are absolutely top notch.
  Talking to several of Gordons friends that came over, I kept hearing a comment that was very consistent in reference to Gordon. "He is vey meticulous" was stated several times. His patience and time that he puts into every bow is what makes all of His bows a work of art. ;) I do believe that a person's work is a reflection on his character and this is certainly the case with Gordon.
  Another great bow Gordon! ;)        Keenan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 01:26:54 pm »
A typical bar raiser from Gordon. Obviously a serious contender for May Laminate Bow of the Month.

Hmmm boobackedbooyew. So is this, then, a Tri-Lam?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 02:00:47 pm »
Keenan, thank you for your generous words. It was a pleasure to look at your work up close. Your sturgeon-backed cascarra bow is as fine a piece of work as I have ever seen - I just couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

Don, this bow is indeed a tri-lam - raw bamboo back, vertical bamboo core, yew belly.

Thank you Andrew.

I agree with you completely Dano, $5 and a little extra work is not too much to invest in a bow like this.

Gordon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 03:08:48 pm »
Yeah Gordon, thats what I ment, I'm beginning to prefer bows that don't have reflex ;D ;D ;D, they still have plenty power
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline shamus

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 06:18:50 pm »
beautiful..a work of art.

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 08:44:55 pm »
Gordon awsome bow once again. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley