Author Topic: "Bodman" type Bow 40# - 28" - 63"ntn  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Aksel

Re: "Bodman" type Bow 40# - 28" - 63"ntn
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2023, 06:33:35 pm »
Here it is with cross section showing an almost triangular shape in places due to having wood removed / shaping its back. Junkmann has calculated its draw weight to 71lbs and my own replications (down to fractions of a mm) with his measurements has been almost bang on his estimatetions.

Notice the narrow tips ?  (A)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 06:43:45 pm by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline simk

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 04:04:38 am »
thanks Aksel! I don't have these cross sections depicted in my article from the referred book (das Bogenbauerbuch). That explains my struggeling with the drawweight....
Is your picture from the other book: "Pfeil und Bogen"? I was thinking about buying that one anyways....
But re-reading my Article again it says the bow was made from a piece of wood about 2" in diameter; so that again makes sense. My actual piece was about 4" in dia.
Removing material from a stave with only a piece of flintstone maybe works easier if you work the soft sapwood instead of the belly.....just another thought.... 
Finally: If they talk about saplings were used: Do you/we know if these were upright saplings or maybe branches? If it was branches compression wood comes into play..... I made a few bows from branches. They behave very different behaviour from upright saplings and are extremly forgiving. With branches you get away with weird things - they just refuse to break. If I was a caveman I'd maybe go for a branch  :)
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Aksel

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2023, 04:36:52 am »
Yes his book is a must for anyone interested in old European bows, full of images and interesting information covering many many bows I never heard of before I got the book. Cross sections of the past is very little explored in my opinion and the book describes many strange ones ...!

I think it is very difficult if not impossible to tell if a bow comes from a sapling or a branch.

The Bodman, with its propeller or paddle shape was a common bow type in the old times especially in your area and I believe its a very advanced and efficient bow design. Sometimes they would have a slightly hollowed out belly as well.
Stoneagebows