Author Topic: Simple Osage Selfbow  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Fox

Simple Osage Selfbow
« on: October 28, 2023, 05:19:32 pm »
I haven't posted in a while and haven't made a bow in probably 2 years. I am just finishing up this Osage bow from a stave that as been seasoning longer than I've been alive haha. I believe it was cut in 2002, got it from a gathering in the spring, a lot of the work I did on this bow was just out in the woods instead of in the shop, haven't even checked what the weight is but its somewhere around 50#@26" and the bow is 61" ntn. the tiller looks a little funky from the wiggles but it took hardly any set and shoots quite nice. Buckskin I tanned on the handle and built up arrow rest. any thoughts or advice would be lovely

Osage selfbow by Livvydog, on FlickrOsage selfbow by Livvydog, on FlickrOsage selfbow by Livvydog, on Osage selfbow by Livvydog, on Osage selfbow by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline organic_archer

Re: Simple Osage Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 07:47:44 pm »
Looks good to me. The bend matches the wiggles. If it shoots well, I’d say appreciate it as a lovely character bow!
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 09:37:06 pm »
Thanks!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 10:32:12 pm »
Looks good to me. The bend matches the wiggles. If it shoots well, I’d say appreciate it as a lovely character bow!

I agree!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 03:52:28 pm »
Looks like you did good. Nice looking bow. Thanks for sharing.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 08:29:22 pm »
Sexy little Bow.  I like the wiggles and character in it.  The arc of the bend looks good and that’s important part.  The no set is testament of good tiller and good layout for this piece of wood and it’s limits.  Well done.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 02:49:36 am »
Thank y'all for the compliments and reassurance! It means lots coming from such accomplished bowyers

Offline M2A

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 08:26:24 am »
Nice job on that stick Fox. Good looking bend! Need a close up of that leather handle and nocks. Good stuff.
Mike